Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 AM
Steel

Default Cortini

Hi,

Attached is an image of a Holloway and Naughton OxU (patterned on a BOSS Action) shotgun completed in 2003. Creative Arts is thought to have been the engraver and its signed Dan Cortini. I find a Dario but no Dan as can be seen in the image lower left. I wonder if someone knows something about Dan and can provide me with some info on him or is it simply how Dario signs his name?

Thanks for looking

rick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-IMG_3430.jpg (85.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 1-1-IMG_3430.JPG (37.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-05-2013, 02:21 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Cortini

Rick,

I know of no engraver named Dan Cortini. Dario Cortini is the only one I know with that family name. It's my opinion that your gun was done by Dario. Dario is the master of the Giovanelli engraving school in Gardone V.T. at the present time. Like all Brescian engravers he has undoubtedly done side work for various gunmakers and engraving firms.

I have attached below a signature from a gun engraved by Dario in conjunction with his work at Bottega Cesare Giovanelli (the inc. is the Italian abbreviation for engraver). You can see that it varies quite a bit from the one on your H&N. Nevertheless note how the T is very verticle and how the crossbar extends over the or and in of the the name the same way as the signature on your gun. Engravers often vary their signature from gun to gun or over the course of years. I know that I have. Also, in my example, it is signed D. Cortini. If there was another D. Cortini engraving guns I think Dario would have signed his whole first name. As an example, my brother and I are both C. Bleile so I always sign C. R. Bleile, C. Roger Bleile, Roger Bleile, or at least CRB while my brother signs Carl B. Bleile, Carl Bleile, or at least CBB so as to avoid confusion.

So it is my opinion that Dario Cortini engraved your gun.

I have also added an image of Dario at the bench and one of Scott Pilkington, Dario, and me taken in the Giovanelli studios (I must have been explaning how to play the piano ).

Regards,
Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D. (Dario) Cortini for BCG Inc..jpg (27.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Dario Cortini.jpg (36.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Bottega Giovanelli-Scott-Roger-Dario Cortini.jpg (82.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Steel

Default Re: Cortini

Thank you Roger for your expertise.