Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Tutorials and Contests - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Default Contest #2 giveaway for a Classic AirGraver handpiece

Contest giveaway #2 for a new Classic AirGraver handpiece

Forum administrators and moderators are exempt from the contest.

To enter this contest, simply start a new thread topic of your choice about engraving which would challenge or help the group.

On May 15 the thread with the most individual members participating in the replies of a thread will win its creator a Classic handpiece. The winner would need to purchase a controller for operating it himself, either a foot controller or PalmControl handle.

2nd prize will be a pack of M42 5 pack of gravers.

Free shipping within the USA. Actual shipping cost outside the USA.

This contest starts 12:00 PM on March 22, 2008. Begin posting your clever ideas for high participating threads from many people then. Start as many threads as you like during the contest. The posts within the thread must be pertinent to the subject or it won't be counted. Short, one liners also won't be counted. The contest ends midnight (central time) on May 15. The forum administrators and moderators will be exempt from the contest.

If you see something that needs to be addressed about the rules, please say something now before the contest starts on March 22 at noon. The contest ends May 15 at midnight.

Good luck!

PS... This contest is slightly different than contest giveaway #1 that ends on April 30.
Let me know if you don't completely understand how this one is different.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 03-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Contest #2 giveaway for a Classic AirGraver handpiece

In the index in the forum or sub-forums you will see all the threads and above them on the right is a column labeled "Replies". This is the number of replies in any one thread. Click on the number. A box opens with the members names that replied in the thread and how many times each did reply. The winner of this contest will be the person that starts a thread that has the most total members replying. It doesn't matter how many times a particular member does reply in the thread but only that he did at least once.

This contest starts at noon 12:00 PM on March 22 and ends at midnight On May 15. (central standard time) Threads that are started between these times are in this #2 contest.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 03-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Steel

Oh my.... another one... nice Steve! Very generous! And a great idea to stuff the forum with fantastic contents!
I already have a great idea!
Rainer
Old 03-22-2008, 05:53 AM
Platinum

Posting on your own thread sounds like you could load the thread with too much of your own post...
Jerry
Old 03-22-2008, 06:48 AM
Platinum

Right, this one sounds like the number of unique participants is the key, not total number of posts. This forces the poster to consider how wide an audience he or she can bring in, not just volume from a few. A cool idea!

The traffic has been very high lately, for sure!

Take care,

Tom
Old 03-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainer
Oh my.... another one... nice Steve! Very generous! And a great idea to stuff the forum with fantastic contents!
I already have a great idea!
Rainer
This contest was Ray's good idea. Thanks again Ray!
If anyone has more good ideas for contests let me know.

Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 03-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Platinum

Steve you are good and the Tools are A#uno...
Thanks to Ray for having the PC at his school, That's one of the reasons I liked his school and it was more than I expected... I had to have one once I tried the ones he has for his school...
I tried to get you to bring one down to Ray's while I was there, but you were to busy or you would have drove down or over night one to me...
You are First Class...
Thanks Steve..

Jerry
Old 03-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Copper

Steve,
The giveaway idea is a great idea!!!! ,
I think a "newby" contest might be an idea as well, more for those who might own tools other than the Lindsay Airgraver or one of your older model airgravers or even an equipmentless person yearning to give it a try to win a new palm control. For instance newby might be someone that has yet to even engrave onto something other than a practice plate or even someone without engraving tools, perhaps a "Engraving Layout" contest as even a non engraver interested in engraving might practically overnight have the a helluva good start on equipment.
Just a thought. Of coarse the drawing would have to be something that could be accomplished by the "average-Intermediate" engraver. Then the winner would engrave the layout, Maybe I could get my Knifemaking father Elvan Allred to build a knife to design the engraving for and the winner could engrave it once they buy the other needed equipment Vice ect. and Keep or sell it. (Small straight knife, full metal or large bolster most likely)

What do you think?
Old 03-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Hi Scott, Thank you
I like your idea! I'll give you a call. Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 03-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Steel

Stone setting? Is an art in it self. Tips ,types, Differant applications. How too??? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lindsay

Contest giveaway #2 for a new Classic AirGraver handpiece

Forum administrators and moderators are exempt from the contest.

To enter this contest, simply start a new thread topic of your choice about engraving which would challenge or help the group.

On May 15 the thread with the most individual members participating in the replies of a thread will win its creator a Classic handpiece. The winner would need to purchase a controller for operating it himself, either a foot controller or PalmControl handle.

2nd prize will be a pack of M42 5 pack of gravers.

Free shipping within the USA. Actual shipping cost outside the USA.

This contest starts 12:00 PM on March 22, 2008. Begin posting your clever ideas for high participating threads from many people then. Start as many threads as you like during the contest. The posts within the thread must be pertinent to the subject or it won't be counted. Short, one liners also won't be counted. The contest ends midnight (central time) on May 15. The forum administrators and moderators will be exempt from the contest.

If you see something that needs to be addressed about the rules, please say something now before the contest starts on March 22 at noon.

Good luck! :cheers2:

PS... This contest is slightly different than contest giveaway #1 that ends on April 30.
Let me know if you don't completely understand how this one is different.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Gold

Dear Steve,

My name is Tom and I found your site quite by accident today. My passion is building Kentucky Longrifles and I have done some basic engraving on the rifles I have built and even took a class a few years ago. A came apon your site as I was brousing around in general, looking and engraving tools. The engraving that I have done has always facinated me and I have wanted to improve my skills.

Your site is just chocked full of great information and I am drooling over your tools. I would ask for some assistance from anyone who would be willing to offer it on getting started with the Airgraver. I do have a limited amount of funds, so I could use some help in understanding how I should proceed. Would there be any value in trying to find less expensive used equipment from someone who might be upgrading or should I just wait until I can dive in and go for the best.

Any assistance that might be offered a "newbee" would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Administrator

Hi and Welcome Tom:seeya:

A thead that may be helpful is this one... "Inexpensive way to give it a try":
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=4

Rod's post about "cash strapped beginners" is good http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1476

Also the Resources page:
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=419

Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 03-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bervin
Stone setting? Is an art in it self. Tips ,types, Differant applications. How too??? .
Welcome Bervin :seeya:

Any of these topics should be for good high participating threads for the contest. In the main forum or any of the sub forums look for a click on the box labled "new thread" to create a new thread.

Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 04-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Steel

Hola Steve,
me parece una idea genial, sieto no poder expresarme en ingles, pero mi mujer en esta ocasión no ha podido hecharme una mano.
gracias por tu trabajo.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Steel

Send a message via AIM to JayCanale

Being a "newbie" I would have to say YES! lets do a contest for newbies only!!

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allred
Steve,
I think a "newby" contest might be an idea as well, more for those who might own tools other than the Lindsay Airgraver or one of your older model airgravers or even an equipmentless person yearning to give it a try to win a new palm control. For instance newby might be someone that has yet to even engrave onto something other than a practice plate or even someone without engraving tools, perhaps a "Engraving Layout" contest as even a non engraver interested in engraving might practically overnight have the a helluva good start on equipment.
Just a thought. Of coarse the drawing would have to be something that could be accomplished by the "average-Intermediate" engraver. Then the winner would engrave the layout, Maybe I could get my Knifemaking father Elvan Allred to build a knife to design the engraving for and the winner could engrave it once they buy the other needed equipment Vice ect. and Keep or sell it. (Small straight knife, full metal or large bolster most likely)

What do you think?
Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Hi Jay, I'll sure provide another classic airgraver for another contest. Trying to decide what the contest should be and the rules is the hard part. I am short on time to figure out what the contest should be. Would you want to take the lead starting a new thread asking members to try to come up with a good contest? I would like it to be a contest that beginners have just as much of a chance to win as experienced engravers, or the contest could only be for beginners. I would also like it to be competitive all the way to the end. If there are several contest ideas to chose from, a poll post could be made so members can vote for which one they would like.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 04-24-2008, 10:59 PM
Gold

Steve,
I definately like your idea of a contest where beginners would have as good a chance as the experienced engravers of winning. Or even a competition just for beginners would be good too. How about a contest amongst beginners, where those in the contest need to submit at least one (one is a minimum)plan or drawing or original design and then transfer to metal of choice and complete the engraved transfer once a week for as long as the contest goes on? In other words a contestant will be required to submit a drawing, transfer to metal and finish engraving that design each week of the contest. To be submitted to the forum In a tutorial like fashion in that entrant's own thread to be judged by all viewing members. Members can somehow post a grade or vote on a 5 star basis. Members can only vote once on each contestant's new submissions for that week (if a contestant submits more than one entry that week then so much better for that contestant-he stands to collect more stars, if a contestant does not submit something one week then no problem, he just doesn't get any stars that week), but they can vote on more than one contestant's work. ( They may give contestant #1, 3 stars, contestant # 2, 4 stars and so on.) At the end of the contest, the entrant with the most stars wins. Contestants are barred from voting for themselves to prevent unfairness. Contestant can make his/her entry as simple or complicated as the person feels comfortable with, depending on confidence and time etc.

Just an idea, but could be fun and interesting to watch over the period of a few weeks.The more paticipants, both contestants and viewers, the more interesting this could be.

Gene
Old 04-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Hi Gene,

Sounds good but if part of the requirement was to engrave the design, then the beginners who don't have equipment yet wouldn't be able to join in the contest. Maybe just a drawing contest. However if it was only a drawing contest then the best artist would win. I keep trying to think of something where everyone has an equal chance to win. However, I guess it has to be a contest about something though or else it would be a door prize or lottery.

Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 04-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Platinum

One good thing about the formats used so far is that everyone HAS had a good chance to win. beginners can ask good questions and get good responses to their threads, and expert engravers can post interesting tips or tutorials. I guess it does favor good talkers/writers though!

There is no such thing as a "fair" fight. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses that suit them to different tasks or competitions.

The best thing about these contests is Steve's generosity, and the fact that someone gets a superior tool to help them along. Even anyone who buys Steve's tools is a winner! Plus, we all win with the great threads that get generated due to the contests being posted.

take care,

Tom
Old 05-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Copper

Hello, I'm very interested in Bulino engraving and would love to see a video of how it's donne. thanks,
uncle john
Old 05-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Administrator

I used bulino dots to sign this knife. First I'm laying out the letters by scretching lightly and then I go over them and poking dots.

I'm using four techniques to make dots for scenes.

#1. A 3/32" square graver with its face sharpened at 45 degrees and without a heel. Without a heel, so that it will dig in quick. (I'd use Phil's or Dario's bulino point now though) Poke in and pop out a chip. It will make a diamond, oval or dash shaped dot depending on what angle it is popped out at. You will be removing a chip with this method.
#2 Same as above but don't pop it and leave the bur. A collector/customer once sent a Fracassi knife and asked me to repair a scratch that was through a scene on the bolster. In the piece Mr. Fracassi left the chips standing. Granted they were small but were above the surface. I have seen another piece he did that he must have popped the burs out.. so he must use several techniques.
#3. A pin vise, holding a 1/16" dental carbide bur that was sharpened to the shape of a needle. Held like a pencil, push in, pull out. It will displace the metal rather than cut it away like #1 does. This is the same technique for scriming dots.
#4. Same dental bur as #3 but held in the AirGraver with 3/32" round x 1/16" brass tubing. I hold the AirGraver similar to jewelers screw driver with index finger on the back of the handle. Held approx 90 degrees to the work and use it to lay down a lot of dots quickly in the less sensitive areas of the scene.

For dots with #4 in the AirGraver I'll use a dental bur ground to a point and inserting it into a piece of brass tubing.

The dot holder pictured for the AirGraver is a 3/32" OD x 1/16" ID x 7/8" long brass tubing with a sharpened carbide bur in it. For backing behind the bur shank is a second bur shank that is cut off. I'll slightly squish the brass tubing with a pair of pliers so that bur shanks fit with somewhat of a friction fit. K & S I beleive has this size tubing: Google search

The other item in the pic is a brass punch for hammering in gold wire with the AirGraver.

Here are past threads about bulino:
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1102
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2315
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=60
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1409
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1313
http://www.handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=60
http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=319
EngravingArtist.com
Old 07-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Steel

Thumbs up Re: Contest #2 giveaway for a Classic AirGraver handpiece

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Allred View Post
Steve,

What do you think?
This would be a brilliant idea for the likes of me and many others.
Most the other accomplished engravers could have most the competitions in the bag compared to the likes of my self who would have absolutely no chance against them but compare a picture of mine with there's?

You could do it on a learning base,who learns the most in a certain amount of time and a questionnaire PMed to the participants to fill out.

I still do not know a lot of the names for half the tools or any of the techniques.

I think you should aim some of the competitions towards newbies as newbies will tend to have nearly no tools or just basic tools or money to buy tools but not sure if they want to get into it or not or no money and would love to get into it and the average engraver probably already has your top hand engraver and earns money from engraving.

The last thing you want is,a winner who uses the tool once and never uses it again,so may be a,you have to show your work agreement should be put into place?
ATB
Ricky
Old 07-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Platinum

Hi Rick,

This was a contest that was for all and had 3 classifications.

Thanks Steve for this and many other great contests, a great forum, and for making a state of the art tool.

I did a thread on exactly what you were looking for which was for a newbe to be able to start engraving with minimal tools up to using the Classic.

Includes vises, optical, H&C, transfers and links to many of the threads on Steves site that puts many of the other's helpful hints in one spot.

Visit it and check out links. This should give you a idea of where to start plus more.

Link:

http://www.handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2365

AirAmp
Old 06-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to JRon

Steve:
Ever thought of publishing a booklet similar to the McKinzie one, with the content on
tools, tips and techniques? I think with your expertice it would be on every engravers bench. JR
Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Thank you JR, I'd like to maybe do that at some point.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 06-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

some .