Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > AirGraver Networking - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Steel

Smile Engraving Gun Metal

I am in the process of engraving a Krieghoff Model 32 receiver and I am having some difficulty starting and keeping the cut going. The metal is very smooth (polished) and hard. I am using the Lindsay Classic with the tungsten piston. The gravers are 116 degrees and 96 degrees using M42 graver material. I will be out of town on business for the next couple of days and might not be able to respond to any replies until the weekend. Thanks in advance for your recommendations and suggestions. Mac 1
Old 01-11-2016, 05:12 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Engraving Gun Metal

I fear the only advise you will get is to tough it out. American engravers usually get firearms in their final finish (meaning hardness) form and some are very hard to engrave. Some even impossible to cut. I use a square carbide (Ngraver brand) tool with a 60 degree face and dub the point when cutting harder metal. I still get very frequent tip chipping. Lynton McKinsey once said he was a professional tool sharpener who occasionally got some engraving done.

Guns, guitars and old cars