Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 07-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Copper

Default Air pressures to use

I have a new Palmcontrol, older Silentaire compressor and correct guages,,,I think. What should the pressures be set on the compressor and regulator? Where should the handpc be set? Thank you.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Air pressures to use

Hi John, You can set the incoming PSI to the PalmControl from 10 to 80psi. 35 PSI to start with is a good medium. If you're engraving deeper, set it in the range of 60 to 70. With the tungsten piston take it up to 60 to 80psi. Here is part of the FAQ from the the PalmControl manual that goes over some of the PSI settings:

I have the tool at a short stroke and I want to engrave very fine cuts very slowly.
  • Leave the tool set at the short stroke, and turn the regulator down to 10 or 20 PSI.

I want to feel more resistance while engraving (or the tool is getting ahead of me).
  • Turn the PSI down.
  • Turn the “palm pressure screw” that is in the center back of the handle in (clockwise) 1/8, ¼, or 1/2 turn. Note, do not turn beyond 1/2 turn in either direction from the as-shipped position. The as-shipped position is marked on the screw at the 12:00 position.
  • If you are NOT doing fine, small engraving, setting the tool to a slightly shorter stroke will give it more resistance.

I want to feel less resistance while engraving.
  • Turn the PSI up (up to 70 PSI)
  • Turn the “palm pressure screw” that is in the center back of the handle in (counter-clockwise) 1/8, ¼, or 1/2 turn. Note, do not turn beyond 1/2 turn either direction from the as-shipped position. The as-shipped position is marked on the screw at the 12:00 position.
  • If you are doing fine, small engraving, setting the tool to a shorter stroke will give it less resistance at the start of a cut.

I want to do very small microscopic shading work. What would be the best setting?
  • The stainless piston gives better low end impacts than the heavy tungsten piston.
  • Make sure piston and bore are clean to allow the tool to idle fine.
  • Set stroke length to shortest setting.
  • For stainless piston, set air pressure to 25 to 35 PSI
  • For tungsten piston, set air pressure to 15 to 25 PSI

I want to set the tool to maximum power.
  • Set the stroke to medium or long, and turn the regulator pressure to 60 or 70 PSI.
  • The tungsten piston will deliver more power than the stainless piston
EngravingArtist.com
Old 02-12-2011, 10:30 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Air pressures to use

thanks for the info Steve