Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 05-13-2010, 03:52 AM
Steel

Default want to buy palm control

hi everyone,
i want to buy a palm control airgraver,
but i am a little confused with the informtion cuase my bad english,
there are Santoprene ,bur,and stainless handle for palmcontrol,which should i buy, what is the main difference? and also i see there is a palmcontrol graver named NITROG20,,what is the difference?
wish you who have palmcontrol airgravers can give me some sugesstion.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:26 AM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: want to buy palm control

Hi Connor,

First, concratulations with your choice

Whenn you buy a Palmcontrol you have the choice to buy a beautiful burl wooden handle for it. Just for the looks.
The santoprene handle is the standard handle that comes with the PC.
The steel handle or damascus one are increasing the impact of your piston. The damascus one is also because its beautifull ofcourse.

So, you could get a stainles handle extra to increase your impact.
If you like beatufull tools and you are not limited by budget, get the burlwooden handle and the damascus one

The NitroG20 is a large bore airgraver made for heavy duty stuff like motorcycle engraving and such. So it will depend on what you want to do with your tool.

Hope this helps,

Daniel
Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 AM
Steel

hi daniel, thanks for your information,,,i just want to do some engraving on silver, sctroll and relief engraving, dont know if the bur and damascus classical will work well if i dont choose nitrog20 ,and another question, i see there is quick change avaviable for palmcontrol airgraver, what are they used for ? to make it more convient to change the gaver?or you can use other size graver smaller or biger with it?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Platinum

For silver and such you shouldn't need the new NitroG20 - it's made for people who need to do heavy duty work. It's also fine for delicate work so you could use it if you think you'll need the extra power in the future.

I'd start with the regular (santoprene) handle - you can always get another handle later.

The AirGravers are inherently quick change - the graver just slips into the handle. There's an O-ring to help hold it in place so it won't fall out when you're not using it. When you are using it the pressure against the metal means it can't slip out. There are also some set screws you can use to secure it more tightly. I replaced one of mine with a small knob that comes with the AirGraver so it's easy to tighten down on the graver. I don't have to, but it holds it a tiny bit steadier. There's a maximum size graver you can use the normal way but Steve has some adapters that I think let you use larger gravers.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-13-2010, 10:52 AM
Platinum

You don't need the Q-change for the Palm control...
Check out the forum a little more all the answers are there...
Welcome to the Forum...
There's another engraver in Hong Kong, check the members list...
Jerry
Old 05-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Platinum

I haven't tried the wood or metal handles but I like the santoprene because it absorbs some of the vibration and is somewhat tacky against the skin. I would spend any extra money on the carbide piston instead.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Platinum

I`ve got the santoprene handle, not much to look at but it`s the tool that does the work
You could spend the cost of a better looking handle on other stuff.

Silver, i`ve been cutting lately and only using a fraction of the power of the pc with the standard piston.
Depends what style you want to do, as the heavier piston helps i believe for that western brightcut stuff.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Gold

In my opinion:
I agree with everything that was said above but I purchased the stainless handle just because it felt really good and well balanced in my hand. Although it may not be as beautiful as some of the other choices it still looks really good and is priced quite a bit lower. Just a personal preference.

Les Schowe
Old 05-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Platinum

Heck, I've got two stainless steel handles for my AirGraver Classic (second one is a lottery ticket worth keeping).

I've been using it a lot on nickel carving. The nickels are around the same resistance as silver and for a lot of what I'm doing I'm only running at about 20 lbs pressure and a short stroke length.

Like Les, I do like the feel of the SS handle and will switch back to it when I get around to it (need to finish engraving the one)

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album