Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Copper

Default I pads

Hey I'm new to engraving. I have 2 questions for whom ever may be able to help
First one is what's the deal with scopes? What do most beginners use for magnification of there work and where would be a good place to start looking for entry level equipment? Are the expensive scopes the only way to go for a old worn out half blind cat mechanic like myself or is there some type of visor type magnifier that would work well?

Second question is there many people using an iPad instead of a computer and having trouble with it crashing while using this site? I do this on an iPad and I seem to have intermittent problems with it crashing. I have not uses a regular computer to visit this site and was wondering if anyone else was having a problem.
Thanks, Jim
Old 01-10-2011, 03:57 AM
Gold

Default Re: I pads

I haven't had a problem with this site when using my iPad.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:50 PM
Steel

No problem here using my Ipad.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Platinum

This was sent with my I Pad and no problem.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:54 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
Hey I'm new to engraving. I have 2 questions for whom ever may be able to help
First one is what's the deal with scopes? What do most beginners use for magnification of there work and where would be a good place to start looking for entry level equipment? Are the expensive scopes the only way to go for a old worn out half blind cat mechanic like myself or is there some type of visor type magnifier that would work well?
Thanks, Jim
Since no one else has I may as well jump in on this one.

The reason pretty much everyone engraves with at least some type of magnification is that we just can't see well enough without it.

Sure, engraving is meant to be appreciated without magnification (most of it anyway) but it's pretty darn hard to do really good work by feel.

OptiVisors and other head mounted gear is a great option when starting off. I even had my eye doctor make me a pair of 'engraving' glasses. They're my regular close-focus prescription with a +4.5 Diopter added. We tried for a +5 but I couldn't get the working distance I need with that much added on. I use them for portability and I can also wear them while using my other magnifiers if I want to get even closer. It's really cool wearing them while using my scope - I get significantly more magnification without loosing any field of view.

The Italian Bulino artists are famous for just using 10x loupes - often hand held - for their incredibly detailed work. Phil Coggan has mentioned working that way on at least some of his beautiful stuff.

Some people have posted about using stand mounted magnifiers - things like those lamps with the large lens in the center.

Scopes are what people at least want to use these days because they really let you see what you're doing. They take a little bit of getting used to - you're looking down from above and can't really change your viewing angle to look around things (but can rotate / tilt the things). Having a zoom ability is great - you can work at whatever level is appropriate to what you're doing, zooming out to check the area and in to get the placement of very fine details (such as shading lines) exactly correct.

The two biggest problems using a scope are, Number one; doing some really great stuff - deep, clean cuts and great sweeping curves and then sitting back from the scope and... not being able to find it because it turns out you were zoomed way in and everything you just did is about 3mm square. Number two is trying to blow that chip / speck of dust away. Really hard to do from way up there at the eyepieces.

But the interesting thing about working with a scope is that it makes you better when you're not using it. Take for example flatting out an area. With a scope you can see what you're doing and get an area shaved down amazingly clean. Once you've done that a few times you get the feel for it and you'll find if you do it without a scope and then come back and look at it with one... well, it probably won't look nearly as good under the scope but it'll still be pretty darn clean. Likewise doing fine shading lines. Much easier to do when you can see the tiny space between them and the training of doing it will let you do it (or at least do it better) with less magnification later.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 01-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Platinum

i use the iphone for navigate in it and i have no problem ,maybe the problem is of the ipad try to use the opera browser for ipad maybe you have a bad configuration in safari.