Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Tutorials and Contests - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 11-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Steel

Send a message via Skype™ to vilts
Default Video: Sharpening with flat template

I agreed to do a series of videos for Steve about his sharpening system. I will try to do them when different projects need different gravers and this one happened to need a flat graver.

Script lettering on an old-old Zippo:
Sharpening with Lindsay sharpener - flat & knife

I know Steve uses Calligraphy point for stuff like this, but I'm not too comfortable with that yet.

I'm not sure how I can demo Coggan and Cortini bulino templates tho - I still have to idea how to use them. (Phil, want to tutor me for a few days? :yesnod.

Viljo
Old 11-06-2008, 02:34 AM
Platinum

Smile Re: Video: Sharpening with flat template

Hi Vilts,
Thanks a lot for the demo on sharpening flats,the lettering demo was good and informative.
I also noticed the round 1&1/4 guide for the length of the graver rolled away on the table.If you take 400 grit wet and dry paper,place it on your white plastic,then hold the guide length wise in your thumb and first finger,run it on the 400 grit length wise,put a flat facet 3-5 mm,and one on the opposite side,stops the guide from rolling off the table.Then you can put it down lengthwise and it wont roll.I know somone who lost one.

Mohd
Old 11-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Video: Sharpening with flat template

Vilts, The video is wonderful. Thanks so much for taking the time to make it. This will help a lot of people. I'll add links to the videos in several places on the sites.

Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 11-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

Wauw Vilts, that is really great!
Still all done with the camera you mentioned before?
If so I will have to get me one!
Great to see you lettering too. I do use steve's graver for that but I used the flat as well. Seeing you do lettering this way, I have to try it again.
Thanks!

Daniel
Old 11-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Platinum

Vilts
Thanks great video
Old 11-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Platinum

Another great video Vilts! :thumbsup:

Too bad you're not closer to more engavers - you could sideline doing videos for them.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 11-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lindsay
Vilts, The video is wonderful. Thanks so much for taking the time to make it. This will help a lot of people. I'll add links to the videos in several places on the sites.
Steve
You're most welcome, Steve! This is actually pretty good practice for video making. So it's a win-win .

Daniel, this isn't the photo camera anymore. It's my video cam Canon HV20 (newer model is HV30). Supposedly with best price-performance camera out there. It can do HD and it has even manual controls for light, sound etc. which is pretty unusual for consumer camera.

SVD, that's too bad indeed. Thos closest ones I know are in UK (Coggans and Hunts) and of course our Austrian and Belgian gurus. Not too close to me...

Hmm, what a fun project it would be to visit the many engraving masters out there for a day-or-two and make a video of it. Interviews, samples, technique etc. From the top of my head I came up with 24 people whose work I've seen and admire and would be just great in that series. Hmm, did I just make my plans for next 5 year vacations?
Old 11-07-2008, 07:23 AM
Platinum

Vilts

Comparing the quality of your videos to some of what the professionals (who may understand video but don't know engraving) have done I'd say you should expand thsoe visits to a week or so.

A Phil Coggan Bulino tutorial would be a great thing to have, as would something on English Scroll by the Hunts. In fact, I can tell you right now that I'd buy the English Scroll one - I keep picking at it to little effect and I have a design using it I want to do.

Too bad there's probably not quite enough money in it for you to take a year off doing videos.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 11-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Steel

SVD, yeah, there are few problems with it. First you'd have to find an engraver who would agree to do such thing. Then you'd have to find a way to motivate the guy to do it.

Ray Cover has shared his experience on the video making and profiting from it. Wasn't that encouraging, at least not in that form.

Me, I was thinking of putting the videos up in the net for free and optionally offer cheap DVDs. But that's a topic to think about
Old 11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Platinum

Ray's experience is exactly what I was thinking of.

Your subject matter expertise would have lead to a much better video, at least in terms of the video quality itself. It's really hard to show the important part of something when you don't know what it is.

Ah well, if you get some of the European masters and inspire another engraver / videographer here in the States maybe we can still get the goodies.

In the meantime, keep up your own excellent work - sooner or later you'll have enough segments to have a nice little DVD for the fairly-new engraver market. :thumbsup:

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 04-26-2009, 06:28 PM
Copper

Steve,

A quick question on sharpening with your diamond hones. I normally would use a lubricant, either water with a corrosion inhibitor (the stuff sold for use with facetting laps) or oil, with diamond laps, but notice that various photos and videos on the site show no lubes that I can see. Wouldn't that shorten the life of the hones? And isn't it safer to use a lube when grinding the carbalt gravers especially? Just wondering what you recommend. Also, any chance of a source for a half inch high ceramic lap to use with diamond for an actually polished graver? With platinum around stone setting especially, I could use it. Or do you find that polishing a graver like that makes it less precise in cutting, or some such?
Cheers
Peter
Old 04-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Platinum

Great Videos Man!
Old 05-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Steel

Good video ~reminds me of honing finger plane blades