Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Tutorials and Contests - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 AM
Platinum

Default Secret transfer solutions and transfers.

Well I guess it is time for me to put out some suggestions and solutions that work and can be experimented for your own use. Since the end of the Epson transfer film production it seems to be a big problem.

I have been watching the treads for months, in my tutor I touched on Bryan Bridges Chisel Whiting transfer solution but did promise him I would not give it out and I will keep that promise.

It seems that since that thread everyone has tried to have a method to color the transfer solution to get it to cut glare. Same reason Bryan’s solution was developed over 40 years ago and is a valid reason to develop a solution.

A word about that Bryan’s solution and why it was not given out. It has to be mixed just before use and it has a shelf life of 2-3 days before it separates and has to be remixed. He has made the mixing easier but it still has to be mixed before use for best results.

If you get the opportunity to take a few classes with Bryan Bridges I am sure he will give you the formula and much more.

I have since been working on a solution that works almost as well and is stable for weeks if not months. It is mainly for parchment paper/laser transfer but with the proper transparency film (I will talk about that at the end) will work also with ink jets most likely. I do have a Epson and dura brite ink (pigment ink) but just have not tried it to date so anyone who has time is welcome to give it a try.

Here is a solution that I developed from hours of research and it works well. You have to perfect it to your liking but it works.

3 simple solutions that do not separate and will transfer from parchment/laser print almost 100%. Yes there are laser printers out there that do 1200x1200 dpi. (Lexmark and a few other companys made them).

3 solutions are.

Denatured alcohol (hardware store)

Bulls eye shellac (hardware store) Made by Zinsser http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=31

BIN Primer (hardware store) Also made by Zinsser (this is a Shellac based primer. It contains shellac, and alcohol with a white pigment)
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=10

Now you have to mix it so here is a suggestion that I have used and it will work it also will not (or shouldn’t if mixed right) chip when cutting.

Since I use syringes to mix this it is by volume in CC.

Mix: 10 CC of Denatured alcohol
10 CC of Bulls Eye Shellac
5 CC of BIN primer

So there you have it. Let it tack (about 1 minutes) and transfer with your parchment.

A Second solution is denatured alcohol and Gum Arabic (also called Maskey or Mastic) and is used in baking. It is water soluble and alcohol soluble (denatured). And a few drops of BIN.

This solution also works and does not separate.

1 oz Denatured Alcohol
1 gram or gum Arabic (granuals)
5-10 drops of BIN

Gum Arabic is found in a granular form (if it is a powder it was ground with a additive since it is sticky if ground). Note this was used for centuries as a gum when it was mixed with wax and chewed. It is also used in baking.

I can only suggest options for the transfer film problem. (inkjet with pigment type ink)

1. Sincere Epson had Hammer mill make there transfer film maybe the Hammer mill transfer film will work as good as the Epson film.?? (didn’t try this but it is a logical step). Hammer Hill transparency film is on Ebay.

2. Any transfer film put a few drops of silicon fuser oil on a rag, rub it on the transfer film and scrub it off with a clean cloth. (this will leave a very silicone oil film on the media and maybe print (inkjet ) on it. Again I never tried this but it seems that it might work. Silicone oil is used in many copy machines and color laser printers.

3. The last suggestion I will try at some point. I take x-rays almost daily since I am a physician and can take and read them. The other day I ran a 8x10 unexposed film through the processor and a very nice piece of chemically treated clear (blue tint) film emerged to give me the idea of using this for a transfer media. (Expensive and hard for most to get but I will give it a try anyway).

Ran it through the laser and it will transfer with the first mix and a laser will burn it in the film. Inkjet should work fine for transfer using X Ray Film (developed).

Note: This information is for educational purposes only and in no way is intended to divulge secrets of individuals or take food off anyone’s tables as some have suggested in other treads.

These are my discoveries of messing with transfers for awhile and is intended to help the engravers and the art.

Sorry had to put that in since I do not want anyone to get upset with this information being put into print. I think it is time to give this information out and let other’s see how it works and modify the percentages to suit your needs.

Anything that is discovered or different percentages of these components please feel free to add to this thread to see and hear your results..

AirAmp
Old 03-23-2009, 04:25 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Secret transfer solutions and transfers.

Thanks Doc...
Jerry
Old 03-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Platinum

Hi,

One of the guys here is using Architect velum to print on and then the 1st mix to transfer. reported it works very well.

3M also works well with the HP printerhp 5440 inkjet that uses a #92 black . Thanks Monk.

AirAmp
Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Gold

I have had success with the velum but can't burnish very hard until ink dries well.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Platinum

Hi Airamp,
Thanks a lot for the transfer methods.I am having no luck in that field at the moment.Will try these mixes and keep you posted.
Regards
Mo.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Platinum

Hi Ken,

Give a laserjet transfer a try with baking parchment paper.

Injets have to dry before putting the solution on the plate (for tack time to be right to pull the dry ink). So I would print on the velum, let it dry, put on the mix 1 then let it tack (ink gets a little more dry time) then give it a go.

All should be dry enough to get a good transfer.

Lasers on parchment works best for me..

AirAmp
Old 03-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Steel

I have had great results with velum also.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Platinum

yes: i had all of airamps secret ingredients on hand. mixed a batch. it worx good ! just as he said.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Platinum

not sure what kind of doctor you are but your chemistry is lacking
that is a pretty dangerous mix of chemicals
hope you have a window near by

http://www.hillbrothers.com/msds/pdf...ed-alcohol.pdf
http://www.shape.bc.ca/resources/pdf...msdsreview.pdf

there are better substitutes which will not cause harm and posts here for the methods to employ them

we do try to make engraving fun and safe for people
however if folks choose not to do adequate research and screw themselves up in the process that is their option
Old 09-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Platinum

Steve,

If you use acetone, Tom Whites solution(95% alcohol) or any Delmar varnish, Zippo (naptha), or any other concoction you can come up with, you will be getting far worse health hazard results compared to your examples of dangers for alcohol or paint.

Not sure what type of kook you are??

Denatured alcohol is mostly ethanol (with some methanol to poison it so you won't drink it thanks to our Gov.). If you have wine, beer or you are poisoning yourself according to your ideas. (and in fact you are)..

You are a bit over the top suggesting that any of the combinations given are more harmful than anything that is being used now.

I have many degrees in biochemistry, Organic, diseases Human and Animal, and having worked for the National Institute of Health and being a physician with 30 years in practice.

I have taken and used more chemistry than you have even knew exsisted..

You are looking at a methanol sheet ( denatured is mostly ethanol)and paint Sheet cautions Dont drink it...

What is your background ???

Pull up the data on Acetone...

Link:
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/A0446.htm

Naptha (zippo lighter fluid)

http://www.sciencestuff.com/msds/C2148.html

Varnish

http://firetect.com/msdsfr10.htm

Isopropal:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubbing_alcohol

All much worse than paint or booze (if you use grain ((Ethanol)).

And for that matter the dangers of almost everything you use in your house, car, garage, shop or your liquor cabinet…

What do you use for transfers that are "safe" to you?

Why don't you show us the Safe way???

If you don’t like the suggestions don’t use them. But dont throw stones when you live in a glass house.

There are people that use these solutions to make a living.

When Epson stopped making there product used with Tom Whites solution (alcohol 95%) people were trying to get a good alternative.

So another method had to be found for transfers of high detail from a computer printer and capable to transfer to metal.

Smoke pulls are a hazard too, you could burn down your house!!!

P.S. Stay away from your jewelry chemicals, Polishes, and sharp objects and be sure to use proper ventilation when transferring, Respirators when polishing metal, and when grinding gravers have outside air pumped into a full face mask (snorkel type) so as not to breath in the diamond, Hss, carbide dust..

All of which are 10X worse than the suggested solutions to try.

Wake up.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by airamp View Post
You are looking at a methanol sheet (Also called isopropal that you have put on your skin!!)
Am I misreading this Neil?

Methanol - CH3OH
Isopropyl alcohol - CH3CH2CH2OH

Could you clarify, please?