Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 PM
Platinum

Default Grounds For Divorce ... maybe ...

.... if it were a black powder frame SAA, I might say definitely.

This is a Colt double action revolver that came into the shop last week. I believe it's an early Model 1901 U.S. military. If it is military, I've seen these price up to $2000 bucks or so.

Evidently it was in near perfect condition until the owner's new wife decided she didn't like firearms and hid it under a hot water heater in the basement.

So now it goes into a bath of "Evapo-Rust" and we'll see how it looks in a couple of days ...... this should be interesting.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:30 AM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: Grounds For Divorce ... maybe ...

Pour thing
Well look at the bright side, you can always put some overlay's on the bad spots.
Hmm, on the other hand that could drain the national gold reserve.

Good luck with this one.

Daniel
Old 02-05-2009, 05:30 AM
Steel

AAAHhhhhh, my eyes!!!!! :willy_nilly:

Kinda makes a person :sick:
Old 02-05-2009, 05:56 AM
Steel

Check that thing out carefully before you put any time into it. Not claiming to be the resident expert, but look at the cylinder latch. I don't think Colt made anything that crude. Had one brought to my shop a while back that looked identical to that one that had absolutely no identifying marks. It was a Spanish copy that I wouldn't shoot by proxy. Might make good practice material. Here endeth the epistle. Mike
Old 02-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Platinum

Chris...I think MJ is right..that does look like a Spanish pistol. I got one here a dealer gave me out of his junk box. That pistol you have is beyond restoration. Give it back to the man..he could use it as a paper weight, and a good reminder to his new bride not to touch his stuff. I had a man come to me about two years ago with a Ruger singe shot rifle..it was one of many guns that his Mother-in-Law stuck in a closet next to a hot water heater...30 guns were affected. He told me the Ruger was the better of the lot...the metal could have been restored but the wood would have to be replaced. When his Father-in-Law died he wanted to look at the guns, and the Mother-in-Law refused to let him near them. Sounds to me like the old gent HAD quite a collection. This is what happens when guns get into the wrong hands, and stored in the wrong places...attics, basements, storage sheds.

JJ
Old 02-05-2009, 06:33 AM
Platinum

Hi Daniel .... there's no engraving for this old clunker. Just gotta clean it up and get the action working.

------

Aaron .... thanks for the "magic stuff" tip. It still has a looooong way to go.

------

It's a Colt. Some of the markings are/were crisp ..... the Rampant Colt at the back of the frame, the "Colt's Patent Firearms" and cartouches are all correct.

Everything is right for a military DA Colt .... except for the caliber which I can't make out yet.

-----

Hi JJ. It's got Colt markings all over it under the rust. I agree completely, it's beyond fixing. Anyway .... it's been in the "Evapo-Rust" bath all night. The customer insisted that I make the attempt to clean it up ..... what the heck, it's money.

You're right about the "wrong hands" too. Destroying a piece of history should be a crime.

Here's a link to the same model gun that is for sale on Guns International.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/det...&string=cid=76

Here's another web site that tell a little bit about a Navy version of this Colt.

http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/navy1889/m1889navy.htm

I'll have more info and actual pictures of this as soon as I can make out the serial number. It's gonna need another day soaking in the magic stuff.

Chris
Old 02-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Platinum

As a former collector of pre-WWII Colt double action revolvers, I can tell you that the "flat latch" is correct to to that gun. They do look a little crude for a Colt which, after WWI changed to the more recognizable rounded, knurled latch. After WWII Colt changed the latch again to a rounded one without knurling.

CRB
Old 02-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Platinum

Default Installment 2 of ....

... a classic old shooter to s**t.

Just pulled this old rusty clunker from the Evapo-Rust bath. I left it in for a week, occasionally taking the black crap off with a wire brush and then I forgot about it for a few days more.

The cylinder now opens and spins with the assistance of a pair of vise grips. The trigger and hammer also move. As soon as I get it apart, I'll have it working perfectly then I'll take sand paper to the pitting.

Would I shoot it? Hell yes!! .... but only if it is tied to the oak tree out back. The bore and chambers are mint but the pitting is a little deep on one side of the cylinder. There's enough meat to withstand a low pressure cowboy or black powder load.

It's a .41 Long Colt commercial model. Probably worth $600 to $900 bucks in great shape. This particular example might fetch $10 bucks in spare parts and scrap. The owner's wife is still gonna pay for it cleaned up so it looks like the marriage is saved. My investment - $20 bucks for Evapo-Rust and a little spare time tinkering.

I have to admit .... Evapo-Rust rocks. http://www.evapo-rust.com/

Just in case you guys still don't take my word for it .... here's the rampant Colt above the grip (or what's left of it ... what a shame). :[1]:

disclaimer: I am not a spokesperson for Harris International Labs (the makers of Evapo-Rust) paid or otherwise.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:50 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Installment 2 of ....

Evapo-rust is obviously some effective stuff! I'll have to remember that name.

I would never have thought it would get nearly as good as it looks now.

Thanks for posting it.

Peter
Old 02-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Steel

Found this in my 1908 Sears and Roebuck catalog. So, is it a Colt or not?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coltsnewmodel.jpg (138.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Steel

Better just weld the cylinder shut and call it good. At least you might get paid to make it into a safe curiousity that can hang in her kitchen for a reminder not to play with -----------------------

What a sad story
Old 02-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Platinum

Peter, amazingly ... the stuff is bio-degradable and non-toxic. A little slow but worth the wait. Looking forward to using this stuff on one of my own restorations rather than using a sand/bead blast.

Hey Vern ... that old catalog is a treasure of engraved illustrations.

Hi Dave, this sure made for a good experiment in "set it and forget it" rust removal. You make a very good point for safety reasons ... unless the guy's wife is hoping he will shoot it and blow himself up.:[1]: