Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 08-22-2012, 01:27 AM
Copper

Default NitroG20 vs Classic: Buying Questionaire

Good day Steve,

Reasons why I would go for the NitroG20: (based on a fit to purpose analysis).

I will be happy to hear from you or the community with regards to their experience around the real-world answers they believe for the following questions

1) If I use less air pressure, would the nitro act like a more delicate device? (yes / no)

2) If I use a softened nylon covered piston inside the nitro, would it as well make it more useful for light delicate work ? (yes / no)

3) If I want to engrave the background such as the writing become like embossed/extruded , would this be an overdo job for the classic, especially on a hard iron metal ? (yes/no)

4) I want as possible lesser strain on the engravers hand, would the nitrog20 fit this purpose more than the classic? (yes/no)

5) The following table of metal hardness : http://www.prater-sterling.com/hardness_table.pdf - is a good reference. The question is: assuming I want to engrave on hard alloys; Would the classic engraver suite the purpose?? in other words, what is the practical hardness limit that I can go with Classic/Nitro, is it a hardness of 7 or 8 or even 9 ???

6) Would you seriously highly recommend going for palmcontrol for Calligraphic Works, such as Complex Arabic Calligraphy :http://calligraphyqalam.com/gallery/...-OttomanTurkey ,
- if that was the case, again: which one: Nitro or Classic ??
- and if the answer was "PalmControl"; then, is it that significant worth the difference in price tag?

Old 08-22-2012, 02:08 AM
Platinum

Default Re: NitroG20 vs Classic: Buying Questionaire

Hi one question ,how big will be your works?if is for motorcicle parts or something similar the Nitro will do a good work but if is only for the hardness of the metals the classic can engrave all the engravable type of metals if you need more power only you have to buy the tungsten piston, nothing more.
For me The Palm Control is the best tool of the market, and worth every penny that cost, i had buy the foot controlled first and after i have make the update, ever is an option, if you came from hand push graver you will love the Palm control, for me is much more intuitive and the control is much more better than the foot control.
And remember that the nitro need more power and psi to work, at the end if is only for the hardness of the metal the classic handpiece can do all the works without problems
Old 08-22-2012, 06:26 AM
Copper

How big the works could be, well, variently, It might stretch to 70cm diameter.

And thanks for settling question number 5 for me, with regards to hardness of metals.

Quote:
and the control is much more better than the foot control.
Hmmm, that is sounding good, especially for Caligraphic usage scenarios.

Big thanks, just cope with my enthusiasm, I am yet more eager to hear more reflections from engravers, you know the psychology of any first-time buyer
---------------
Okay, I have the impression that the 20 grams nitro graver does not require more muscle strain, as far as you only somehow guide it, this is important for me, as I suffer from hand strain some times, so in that regards, would you think the favour goes to the Nitro?? I am eager to hear that.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 AM
Platinum

Hi Bakr,

I have both the Palmcontrol Classic (all three pistons) and a foot control Nitro G20. I mostly use the Nitro G20 for punch work, holding it like a pencil, and it works very well. The Nitro has more vibration, as you would expect from a larger, more powerful machine.

I recently experimented with 6ALV4 titanium, a very tough alloy, and while my PC Classic with the tungsten piston would cut the 6ALV4, the Nitro cut much deeper and faster.

I have not tried to do very delicate work with the Nitro, but I think that even with a light piston (is there one available?) you could only reduce the power a little, never getting it as low power as the Classic can go. And I find I use the length of stroke adjustment on the Classic as much as adjusting the air pressure, especially for delicate work like shading. The Nitro G20 doesn't have the stroke adjustment.

Tom
Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Copper

Aha, thanks tom for that extra elaboration, simple, but insightful as well.

It was not clear for me earlier that the nitro does not have the stroke adjustment, though it picture in the website indicates that, but for a first timer with no trained eye these details seem to be less communicated to new site visitors.

Nevertheless, I am starting to fall more into PalmControl Classic.

Now let me switch focus into means of making the most of PC Classic:

I just came to realize as well that pistons are three:
1- light weight + (nylon) XX grams
2- standard 440C hardened stainless piston
3- Tungsten deadblow piston - 7grams

What If I use this combination on PalmControl Classic:

1) Maximum Air Pressure (to add more power)
2) Tungeston Piston (to add more impact)
3) Quick Change extension (to add more weight) --- I see no one mentioned this before !!!
4) Steel Handle (to add more weight)? ---- what is the heaviest handle by the way?
5) Carbalt XD (to add more sturdiness)
6) Adjust to Maximum Stroke Length -obviously

So, how does it add up and line with a nitro feeling? I mean, does this combination facilitate less hand ache?
Old 08-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Platinum

Unless you are extremely sensitive to vibration any hand ache will be more likely from holding the graver too tightly and long or/and using the wrong grip as most new engravers do. The piston is the only weight that matters, it is the 'hammer' any object it strikes just transfers the energy to the tip as it cuts into the metal so less mass after the piston will provide a sharper blow. The hardness the graver can cut is limited by the hardness of the graver itself and the physical properties of the object being engraved.

I believe the Nitro is used to produce larger engravings on large objects. It offers an easier way to make wide and deep flare cuts in harder metals like steel and stainless steel. The PalmControl will give you the most intuitive and easy way to use a power graver, it's the way to go. I think unless you are doing large flare cut work exclusively I would go with the Classic it offers the widest use and if you must have a Nitro for larger work you and order the nitro set up as a PalmControl for about $1,100 and use your Classic PalmControl cap, very economical and wide possibilities of use.

Bob