Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Gold

Send a message via Yahoo to tonytigerhk45
Default The Great Steve Lindsay

Steve Lindsay is one of the “GREATEST PEOPLE A ROUND.” He made me a tool holder for hammer and chisel work and a 120-grave’n tool. This is one of the best tools I have used in a long time. It is like night and day, compared to the old worn out tool I was using. I told him my financial situation and said that I would not be able to buy a “Graver Sharpening System” at this time but I might be able to afford a graver or two. So the “GREATEST PERSON A ROUND” made me a tool holder and graving tool on a Monday and sent it out the next day and I got it that Friday. I asked him how much he would sell them to me for and he said nothing, nada, zero, not a penny to me. I was shocked and felt kind-of bad for not paying for the items, especially for such great workmanship and dedication to quality and customer service for a item he is not getting paid for. So one of the first things I am buying when I am able to afford it is the “Steve Lindsay Graver Sharpening System.” THIS IS THE BEST THING THAT I HAVE GOTTEN FOR FREE in many, many years and one of the things that I will cherish the most for years to come. So the question to you is “What has Steve or anyone else done for you, that has left a lasting impression of good-will or kindness or any other act going beyond normal or unexpected customer service.”

Thank you very much Mr. Lindsay.
One of your biggest fans.
Tony Medlin
Old 05-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Steel

Default Re: The Great Steve Lindsay

Tony,

I agree that Steve is exceptional and might even border on Sainthood. My thanks go out to him.

Regarding others that have left a lasting impression..... You could just about go to the member list and pick any one of the persons there - yourself included. I have found that people on this and a couple of other forums that I lurk around are more than willing to give of their time (sometimes more valuable than a tangible item) examples of work, etc etc.

D.C.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Platinum

It seems like the whole engraving community is filled with fine folks. :whoo:

Yours isn't the first story I've heard about Steve (and I doubt it will be the last). Heck - look at the contests he's running to give us his products!

Trying to think of others that are this nice I can think of a few. Almost every one of them is knife or gun related. Now part of that, I'm sure, is because we're talking high-end 'stuff' - Benchmade knives, for example. But just because a product runs $200 - or $2,000 - doesn't mean that there's a large profit margin in that price. Yet there's something about the companies and people in these areas that shines through.

I think it's the core values of self-reliance and respect that 'we' tend to have. I know I'm more likely to want to help out someone who's stuggling to solve their own problems then I am to rush to the aid of someone who's sitting there demanding I do something for them.

And, of course, there's the fact that now you will feel that need to pay it forward and help out the next guy when you can.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Copper

All right, that's enough! It's already hard enough living with a sensitive artist/mad inventor, don't make Steve any harder for me to deal with. Karla (the long suffering wife) :smile5:
Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Administrator

Dang, she found the thread. She is quick to deflate my head.

Thank you for the thank you Tony. Thank you to everyone. All the good customers and friends make this tool making business fun.

Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 05-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Platinum

Yea, Steve's allright, and aint tight, heck he bought dinner in Reno for a bunch of us poor engravers...
He's trusting and has helped out many to get started...
Great Guy and loves to give his self and his time to help...
Thanks Steve,
Jerry
Old 05-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Copper

I also want to note down my admiration and thankfulness towards this diligent and courteous person. Thanks a lot to Steve for the graver handle and the graver, you made my day! Next step is a sharpening system...:whoo:
Old 05-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Platinum

Uh... Karla, just ignore any threads about 'contests'.

They're just jokes. Steve isn't really giving away piles of work.

He's uh... convincing people to buy! Yeah, that's it. Convincing

:innocent:

pssst! Steve - you think she bought it?

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Platinum

Karla
All you have to do is just stroke Steve's head and rub his back and tell him how lucky he is (to have you). "WE" have to do it on line!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Gold

Tony,
I too would like to express my good feelings about Steve Lindsay. Some weeks ago I ordered a sharpening system, HSS gravers and a pkg. of carbalt gravers from Steve. In a few days time my order arrived and I anxiously opened the box to begin using the system. However I couldn't find the carbalt points. I sent Steve an email and within minutes I received a response from him, he apologized and seemed to know what had gone wrong. That was it, no questions of me whatsoever, didn't even question if the box had been damaged which most mail order companys seem to do first thing nowadays. Anyway, said he would take care of it. Sure enough, a couple of days later another pkg., this time with the carbalts I missed earlier but also an extra HSS point. I wrote him saying he had put in one too many gravers, he responded immediately saying "I know, it's a gift".

The moral of this story is that not only does Steve manufacture and sell a great product (I love my Lindsay Sharpening System), but he is a very conscientious businessman and really knows how to take care of his customers. Others can say what they may about his motivations, but I know a good deal when I see one.....Steve is a good deal!!!

My next major purchase will be "The Classic" , mainly because I feel Steve's service will be there if I ever need it and also because of the good things others have to say about him and his products.

Gene
Old 05-07-2008, 05:08 AM
Platinum

I will Drink To That
Being from Darkest Africa, Especially now with all the power Cuts, Steve has really gone out of his way to help us and supply items and advice out here.
My Sweet little "Classic" only needs a Clean out now, I felt last night that it is a bit Sticky. (18 months later):whoo:
Steve the best to You and Your Business.

"If you are patient in one Moment of Anger,
You will Escape a hundred Days of Sorrow."
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVD
Uh... Karla, just ignore any threads about 'contests'.

They're just jokes. Steve isn't really giving away piles of work.

He's uh... convincing people to buy! Yeah, that's it. Convincing

:innocent:

pssst! Steve - you think she bought it?
I think she did up until the pssst part.
Thanks.. Way to go. I had to sleep out in the shed last night. :sleep:
EngravingArtist.com
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Platinum

Hello all,

I will not say too much, lest Steve be unhappy with me for saying things he wants kept quiet. That says a lot in itself, that he would rather have his good works hidden.

Suffice it to say that in a very difficult time in my life, when my engraving career was going no where, and I was very discouraged, Steve showed up in my life, and helped me over the hump. There are others who have helped also, especially Adone Pozzobon, but Steve stands very tall in my estimation. My first visit to his website changed my view of using power assist tools. His generosity in gettng me into one of his tools early on eventually gave me the the hope to continue to strive for excellence.

Thank you Steve!

Thank you Karla!

Thanks to all of you others who have helped me along.

My greatest sense of obligation is to share with others, and strive to honor the help others have given me by being the best I can possibly be.

take care,

Tom
Old 05-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Platinum

Steve helped me with his Carbalt gravers and even sharpened one for me. We spent some time on the phone talking about it as well. This sort of product support doesn't come from anyone else. I'm truly impressed and grateful for his support. I'm looking forward to getting one of his Airgravers in my shop.

I'd like to see him offer a class that no-one else does ... an advanced scroll design and layout class with some of those incredible inlays he does.

Chris
Old 05-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lindsay
Darn! I didn't think she'd read all the way to the bottom of the post.

Sounds like she's learned a lesson or two.

Kind of like how the ever-indulgent wife now follows up "how much will that cost?" with "and how many things are there that go with it?"

Ah well, at least you have a nice shed.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Platinum

Sorry Karla, this one may make him pop. Kat say’s “Hi”.

I have to tell this story, I believe I’ve told it before but it deserves repeating.

It is a story about when I first purchased from Steve.
About 6 to 7 years ago, wow it has been that long ago, I called Steve to place an order for a Classic AirGraver.

I had been checking out all the makers of power assisted tools and had decided that Steve’s AirGraver was the best tool by design and ability to maintain. It was also the tool with the best price when you took into account what you needed to buy with other systems, and then compared them to the AirGraver.

I asked some questions and in the process mentioned that I had just gone through a triple fusion in my neck. In fact I think I was still in the Halo, I explained that I just had the fusion, and C-4, C-5, C-6 and C-7 were all fused together, this leaves the disks between C-1 to C-4 still working but that doesn’t leave much in the way of movement left.

I told Steve that I had nerve damage in my hands and arms from the nerves being crushed and I was hoping that I could use Steve’s AirGraver to make up for my lack of control in my hands. I was also hoping that the concentration that it takes to engrave would help me improve my hand/eye coordination at a faster rate.

I was unable to use a hammer and chisel because of the nerve damage that resulted in shakes and loss of control, Steve’s AirGraver seemed to be the answer to my problem.

There was a long pause on the phone, then Steve told me that he didn’t want to sell me the tool.

He went on to say that he was concerned that my condition would keep me from being able to engrave and he didn’t want to take advantage of me by selling me a tool that I might not be able to use.

I could tell that Steve had real concerns about selling the tool to me, he was very nice but in simple words he was not going to make money off of a disabled person just to make a sale.

I was in the strange position of having to convince a company (Steve)to take my money, I thought I had stepped into the Twilight Zone.

I had to convince him that if I wasn’t able to control my hands and learn to use his tool, that I would not hold it against him for selling me the tool. This took an hour of talking to him to convince him to sell me the tool.

How many other makers of tools, or anything else for that matter, would refuse to sell someone a product because they didn’t want to take advantage of someone that was disabled?

Using the AirGraver I was able to improve my control faster than the doctors thought possible.

Ever so slowly I have been able to teach my hands to work better and gain the control that I once had.

I have had 6 surgeries since that day, my low back was fused and several small surgeries to clean up bone chips in the spinal column. Now I have even worse nerve damage in my legs then I ever had in my hands. That is an even longer story that I won’t go into.

But I will never forget that Steve cared enough to say no that day.

I am thankful for all that I have, the movement I have in my hands is because using the AirGraver taught me to control my hands from shaking while I was able to do something that I love to do,,,engrave.

I may never be as good as many of you out there, I don’t care, as long as I can see a little improvement, that is good enough for me.

Steve made a friend that day, Steve is honest and generous, he will put everything aside to help someone who wants to learn to engrave.

That is “class” with a capital C, and for that reason I am thankful that I met him.
Tim C
Old 05-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lindsay
well sir , i got mine today . simply fantastic .
i have to go on the road for a week and so i cant try it tell i get back but to say you made my day is an understatment .

i would also add that i have greatly enjoyed the talks over the phone we have had .
rest assured i will do everything i can to help sell your product
Old 05-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Platinum

I must chime in here about Steve's generosity and genuine desire to help his fellow man. When I commented on another forum that I would have to settle for a "Chevy" instead of a "Cadillac" handpiece because of lack of funds. he called me and wanted to know if he could send me one to try. He didn't try and sell me anything, just wanted me to try his PalmControl, without any reservations about getting paid for it. I balked at first because I didn't have the money, but he finally persuaded me to just try it and if I wanted it, I could pay him whenever I got any extra money. It took quite a while before I paid him for the equipment and never once did he mention payment whenever we talked several times later. The man absolutely loves people and is a true servant to his fellow human beings. It is wonderful to meet a man that truly believes and lives the Christian principle of service to his neighbor. I will be purchasing more of his "stuff" as soon as I get completely out of debt (following the Financial Peace University plan by Dave Ramsey, www.daveramsey.com) Steve, if you're reading this, I will be buying from you soon.

Bill