Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-22-2008, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Default Mike Dubber & PalmControl AirGraver at NRA/Colt Collectors Association (CCA)

NRA/Colt Collectors Association (CCA).

This show will take place on May 16-20 at the Kentucky Fairgrounds and Convention Center and Mike Dubber will be doing engraving demos with the Lindsay PalmControl AirGraver at the CCA booth (booth #2727). Information about the show is on the NRA website: www.nraam.org

Mike Dubber will have three of his engraved Colts on display at the show

1)The 2006 CCA Louisville Auction Gun,

2) 2005 CCA Howard Dove Award Gun,

3) A new 44-40 Colt that was just finished which is a reproduction of the "J.B. Books" gun that John Wayne used in his last movie "The Shootist."

Mike instructs private classes with the Lindsay PalmControl. His studio is also listed on the recommended schools page.

Mike Dubber started engraving during his early years as a high school fine arts teacher. His engraving skills lead to a life-time career in the jewelry industry. He is a Certified FEGA Professional Engraver and a Colt Approved Master Engraver. He is past President of the Firearms Engravers Guild of America and has worked and studied with Winston Churchill, Ron Smith and Phil Grifnee'. He received the FEGA James B. Meek Award in 1998 for the "Lifetime Contributions to the Art of Engraving". Michael has created firearms or jewelry engraving for such notable individuals as Norman Schwarskopf, Juan Carlos King of Spain, Pope John Paul II and Bo Derek and he has engraved industry guns for Colt, Holland and Holland and Purdey. He was named as the engraver for a series of auction rifles for The Foundation For North American Wild Sheep and does annual shotgun engravings for Budweiser/Colorado Ducks Unlimited. He also created the "Show Guns" for the Colt Collectors Association in 2003 and 2006. He has a Masters Degree in Fine Arts and has taught engraving classes at Trinidad State Jr. College in Trinidad, Colorado and at Glendo Corporation in Emporia, Kansas.

If you have a chance come and meet Mike at the Louisville Kentucky show and see the Lindsay PalmControl May 16-20. Information about the show is on the NRA website: www.nraam.org
EngravingArtist.com
Old 04-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Gold

Default Re: Mike Dubber & PalmControl AirGraver at NRA/Colt Collectors Association (CCA)

Steve, thanks for posting that info. I can see where i'll be all weekend.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Steel

Default Re: Mike Dubber & PalmControl AirGraver at NRA/Colt Collectors Association (CCA)

Will he be there for the duration of the show? or just certain days? I can probably go, but I will only be able to attend Friday or Saturday, but not the whole show.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Lyle
Old 04-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Platinum

Mike Dubber is a talented, historically significant engraver, and a gentleman. If you get the chance to visit with him, I am sure you will enjoy it.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:15 AM
Platinum

Thanks Barry - I'll try to live up to that introduction!

To those of you who will be attending, yes, I will be there all three days of the show. I will not have a complete "studio" set up like we had at Reno, but I will have the PalmGraver, a block and some basic working tools. I'll bring the new Lindsday sharpening system and some practice plates to demonstrate and to allow others to make some cuts.

The Colt Collectors Booth is number 2727, please stop by to visit, ask questions, talk about engraving and see the PalmGraver in acton.

Mike Dubber
Old 05-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Platinum

Tagging on to this thread just to make sure the news gets out to everyone:

While you can CCW at the NRA Annual Meeting this year you can NOT carry anything to the banquet.

Senator and Presidential Candidate John McCain will be speaking and the Secret Service has declared the banquet a secure zone. If I were going I'd strip the pile of metal I normally carry down to one small pocket knife and be prepared to go put it away to get in. I don't know if there will be metal detectors but it is the Secret Service.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Platinum

Believe me, if the Secret Service is involved, you won't be able to bring a toothpick into that place without clearance. They used to come down to the Biltmore Hotel with Clinton all the time.

They have their own portable metal detectors, X-ray machines, bomb sniffers and dogs that go everywhere with them.

Leave the pocket knife in the car, you don't want to be "taken down" by the Secret Service, they are not nice about it.

Tim C
Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Platinum

Yeah, the ever-indulgent wife and I did the Whitehouse tour during the Clinton years. The Secret Service folks project an air of taking their jobs very seriously. And considering that all of the ones we 'met' (ok, walked past on the tour) were doing a fairly low-level job you know the ones on a Protective Detail are going to be on a whole other level.

I think one other tip to take from this alert is to head for the banquet early.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Gold

well, i got to meet mike today. He's a really nice guy and his work is outstanding. now if could only get a few days off work to take a class. i also got to talk to rex pederson. he's a pretty nice guy too. It was pretty busy at the show so i didn't get to bother either of them too much, well i hope i didn't anyway. I'll probably go back tomorrow and watch them engrave again and ask a few more questions.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Platinum

Default Re: NRA/Colt Collectors Association (CCA)

The NRA Show was a great success. I think I've attended 10 or more of these events over the years. Saturday, May 17 was the most people I've ever seen at an NRA Show!

In additon to hundreds of NRA members who stopped by to see the engraving demos, I talked with 22 engravers of various skill levels and actually had them sit down and use the Lindsay PlamControl. C. Roger Bliele (author of the 1997 "American Engravers" book) came by to visit and try the Palm - he's convinced that it's a great tool as were all the others. I also had the opportunity to talk and visit with Larry Wilson (prolific author of many engraving related books) on Sunday afternoon after things slowed down a bit.

To all that stopped by, we talked a lot about engraving and I surely did'nt answer it all, so please don't hesitate to post or e-mail those questions that I may have passed over too quickly!

Mike Dubber
(mwdub@aol.com)
Old 05-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Platinum

Default Re: NRA/Colt Collectors Association (CCA)

Quote:
The NRA Show was a great success. I think I've attended 10 or more of these events over the years. Saturday, May 17 was the most people I've ever seen at an NRA Show!
Wow!

Considering how packed it was in St. Louis last year it sounds like if everyone had inhaled at the same time the building would have imploded.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 05-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Copper

Hi,
I am interested in the art form and recently joined the forum.
I live in Newport Beach,California.
Among my firearms are ones engraved by Howard Dove and Ken Hurst.
I look forward to a longterm relationship with everyone.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Platinum

bigboat6,

Thanks for being a patron of the engraver's art

Without the patrons very little of the high end work would ever be done.

CRB
Old 05-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Platinum

i never met mike. but any artist with that level of talent would surely have to be a very nice person as well.