Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-05-2007, 05:52 AM
Platinum

Default what prompted you to buy an AirGraver

I thought this could be a fun poll.

1.Why or what prompted you to buy an AirGraver?
If you don't own one yet, you can still have input, just explain the reasons that you would like one.

2.Besides the AirGraver, what other products would you like to see come from Lindsay Tool?

3.Who has been the biggest influence in your life with regards to engraving, and why?

4.What are your goals in engraving?
To explain this a little, I want what do you see yourself doing with your engraving in the future?
Making lots of money? Being a famous Master Engraver? Engraving guns? Jewelry? Making your own brand of knives? What???

Tim
Old 03-05-2007, 06:46 AM

Default Re: Why did you buy an AirGraver?

1. I grew up around my Grandpa and two uncles who are more like older brothers to me to this day; all are very industrious, resourceful, ingenious people. This plus growing up around the family machine shop made me follow along in their collective footsteps. This naturally made me interested in all things mechanical in particular widgets. At first glance I knew this Airgraver thing was something special and when I got it I realized just how fine an instrument it is.

That's how I think of it; as an instrument rather than a machine, like comparing a Rolex to a cuckoo clock. It made no noise but I was using a Gravermeister that I had just bought second hand and we all know how loud they are. I really liked the way it felt in my hand rather than the cigar shaped handpiece I had been using, it seemed more natural I guess.

2. No matter what comes out of Lindsay tools I'm sure it will be well engineered and as flawless as is possible. I'm really waiting anxiously for the ball vise someday.

3. My first influence is Mike Dubber who after my first FEGA show in 2001 took home a graver blank I bought from Ray Philips and sharpened it for me as I had no idea how to sharpen and wanted one like what he would use. Soon after that show I recieved the blank sharpened to a 120 and a brass practice plate he "tested" it out on with some of his signature scroll work and lettering. I still have and use that graver and the plate sits in front of my bench and is one of my prized possessions. One other influences among many would be Jim Small the southern gentleman! He has shared his time with me over to his shop and showed me whatever I want to watch him do. I can't thank him enough; we all need a Jim Small right next door to us, not to mention he is a gifted layout man! You either got it or you don't, he's got all of it. I have a few treasured plates from him as well right next to the other one.

4. My goals are to eventually engrave jewelry for pay in some fashion preferably from a home studio, and do guns and knives or whatever on the side... We don't have the income for me to just sit around pecking at things and not making money at it obviously, it has to pay for itself and then some. Time will tell how that turns out.

Neat poll Tim, hope this helps some.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Poll

many years ago i was ready to give up on engraving. and then c. roger bleile visited my home. he gave me not so much how to do it hints and tricks, but something far more valuable. a realistic constructive critique of my work and the benefit of a positive attitude regarding ones' engraving efforts. roger's words of encouragement were probably most important to keeping me on track.
i also must give a truckload of credit to mr james b. meek. without his book, ??
Old 03-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Gold

Default Re: Poll

1.i have looked at the patents for the air graver and the manual of the grs graver max and 901 hand piece.looking at those two i made my choice based on the fact that it is a better design.no power needed,smaller and made by the inventor and it looks like a piece of art.
2.on my experience with my airgraver i would like to own any tool that steve can come up with
3.steve for his forum and tools,jc for all his help and sam with his forum.
4.to master the art and hopefully leaf something behind when i die so that people can remember me by.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Platinum

1) I don't have one yet, but the idea of a tool becoming an extension of my hand is just too good to be true. I have good hand-eye-foot control, but if I could eliminate just one step, it would be well worth it. Maybe in the future, unless Steve comes up with a apyment plan!

2) I'm sure anything Steve may come up with will be extraordinary!

3) I have a lot of people that have my most sincere thanks for their help along the way, some older and some more recent. First are my art teachers from grade school to the present for their encouragement and guidence in my endeavors to capture what I saw on any medium available. Then there are the early engravers such as Ray Phillips for his wonderful N-Grav-R tool and booklet, Robert Maki for his instruction by mail, Don Galser for his tools and videos, James Meek for his book, Rex Pedersen for his class at GRS, Ken Hurst for his valuable time and generosity to a struggling engraver and to Steve and Sam for their absolutely stunning forums. Without this and Sam's forum, I would be way too frustrated to continue with the art medium I have learned to love. It has now become my passion and I can't seem to get enough knowledge about engraving and its techniques. Thanks to all who have contributed here.

4) To become the best I can possibly be....and maybe sell a thing or two, but mostly I would like to leave a little something of myself for my grandchildren to admire and maybe get them to wonder just who Grandpa was and what made him tick. Maybe someone down my lineage will be inspired to work in the art themselves.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Platinum

Default Re: what prompted you to buy an AirGraver

I want to thank everyone that answered this post, it is interesting to see how many of you started out.
I guess I should answer it too.

1. I studied all the power assist tools around and had decided on two brands, the Lindsay and GRS. After I started to add up the cost of all the parts that go with the GRS tool, I saw that it was more expensive in the long run. It also was designed with springs, which are sure to break one day. In fact there were just too many parts to break.

The Lindsay design was flawless, simple and easy to maintain.

It was also the tool that "Master Engravers" put their money down to buy, the GRS tool was given out to Master Engravers to get them to use it, but the Lindsay tool was the one that they would go out to buy.

I knew then, that was the tool for me.

But that wasn't the end of it for me. I had just been through major surgery for a broken neck, I had nerve damage in both hands and was lucky to just be alive.

When I called Steve to place the order, he was resistant, he didn't want to sell me the tool.

He was conserned that the nerve damage would keep me from engraving and I would be unable to use the tool.

Steve didn't want to take advantage of someone by taking their money that may not be able to use the tool.
Do you think that any other manufacturer would care if they were taking my money?

I explained to him that I wouldn't hold him responsible if I couldn't use the tool.
I was using learning to engrave to teach my hands to work again. The doctors were giving me hand/eye exercises and the hand/eye coordination that engraving by hand would give me was perfect.

It would give me the strength and control I needed to get rid of the weakness and shaking that comes with nerve damage . This is why you don't see me post my work...

2. I'd like to see a left handed version of the PCH, where the hose comes out isn't the best location for left-handers.

3. Steve, of course, along with every writer that ever wrote a book on engraving I can get my hands on.

4. One day to become certified as an "engraver", that would be something I would be proud of.

Thanks again,
Tim
Old 03-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Gold

To be short, brief and concise ---- Steves tools are with out question always a few cuts better than any other tool offered ! I have tried/owned all available and found the Lindsay graver the absolute Best !!! Ken
Old 03-09-2007, 04:31 PM
Platinum

I agree with Mr Hurst checked out the rest bought the best
Old 04-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Platinum

Talking Re: what prompted you to buy an AirGraver

i had used a gravermeister for many, many years. i just thought it was time to change to something different. i think the airgraver is a very user friendly tool. i would invite any newbie though, to at least do a bit of push and some hammer and chisel. if you don't do this, i think you're robbing yourself of a unique skill. you also develop an immediate appreciation of those engravers of years gone by, and how they worked.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:11 PM
Gold

I thought this would be a good time to bring this thread back up to the top, especially now that Eric discovered that the mad wasps are a figment of certain people's imaginations.

1) I bought an airgraver based purely upon the testimony of people who engrave for a living, and who unhesitatingly name Steve's tools as superior. Some background: I am very familiar with GRS. In fact, I didn't even know that there was any serious competition in the pneumatic engraving tool business. When the time came, I was 98% certain it would be a Gravermach. Then, I stumbled across a number of sites. One in particular... the review on this page, by Mr. Pozzobon. His view is supported by a number of famous engravers. I went with Steve sight unseen. When I called him, we had a nice conversation, and he assured me he could "hurry up" a Palmcontrol for me in the delivery cycle.

When I talked to GRS, it was "what can we sell you?".

2) Steve seems to be a pretty busy guy, but the impression I get is that his research and testing is meticulous. Anything he decides to market will probably be a superior product.

3) Biggest influences? Any number of 18th century American gunmakers who could do it all... from forging a flintlock barrel from bands of raw steel, to seasoning their own wood that they themselves cut down, and finally to engraving their final product. The engraving would be considered crude today, but it was and is folk art of the highest order.

4) My goals are to challenge myself, and only myself. There will always be someone better. If a day arrives when I can display my work to other knowledgeable engravers with pride, that will be icing on the cake!
Old 05-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Platinum

With me it was the need to do some repairs to my other equipment. Throw money into older equipment and hope it brings it up to the level you want. Could be like a dog chasin it's tail. Go round and round spending who knows how much and still not have what your lookin for. I stumbled onto Steve's site several years ago. At that time it was the engraving that caught my eye. Later as time past and after reading about his airgraver my interest kept growing and curiosity really took over. Could this one little tool that sits in the palm of your hand truly replicate what others needed a complete system to accomplish. More reading looking at Air Graver users work WOW!! But in the back of my mind we all know It's not the baseball bat that makes you a great hitter or a pool Que that makes you a shark. It's really the talent that's behind the instrument, the layout, and the thought put into the work. I probably will never have the talent I have seen on this forum. But this forum has certainly advanced my abilities.
Now back to the question at hand. What I was using was not working as well as it should. The wife was tired of me complaining and said to just get what was needed to fix it. The company intro'd a new system. That alone answered the question that had bothered me for years. If you need to copy another business' product why not just buy the "ORIGINAL". Simple isn't it.
Oh and I do believe having the best tools you can afford certainly helps ones work. :thumbsup:
Old 05-18-2007, 09:33 AM
Platinum

Whey I Bought a Air-Graver!!
I halve Always been Artistic, Since a young Age, No Formal Art Training, My Parents was Too Poor to Send Us to a Formal School, ( 6 Kids) and the Big Depression,!!
Going to School in The Winter Was Fun, You Got to Stick Your Bare Feet into Warm Cow Dung in the Mornings Going to School to Warm Them Up From The Frost,!! ( 1.5km Walk to the Bus)
Bless There Souls, They Gave me the Ability to Wan’t to Learn More,!! To Wan't More and to Be The Best You Can,To Take What I can,!! For Myself, Because You CAN.!!:willy_nilly:
Always Dabbled into Anything that is Interesthing, I did Custom Painting on Motorcycles,Hot Rods, Murals, Won Numorous Awards,!! Did Fish Mountings!! Many Big Game Fish, The Biggest was a Marlin 650kg.
Did Sculptures, Artwork in leather, None of these Brought in Money,!! But The Satisfaction was Great, I DID IT!!
Then in Later Years I wanted to Learn About Engraving? Some Teachers,!! ? No Go!!
I can Count The Engravers, Professionals? on One Hand in South Africa,!!
That I Think is Why There is NO Appreciation for the ART, They Are Not Informed,
That is The Cliental out Here!!
You Will Find That A lot Of Local Knifemakers, in the Last Two Years, have invested in ENGRAVERS and some have been to Training Courses Oversees, Your Country!!, But Will They Divulge, Any Info, NO, NO, NO, I paid for My Course,!! So Should You!!
That is When I decide to Invest in my Own Engraver, I Think That I’m Doing O.K. That is To Local Standards, Way Below the Forum Standard of Even A Good Engraver!!
But The Clients Out Here Don’t Know Anything Different.!!
That Is Bad,!! Why Should I, or Even Try To Present Anything Below Standard!!
Just Because they Are Ignorant? NO I must Strive To Present My Outmost Best!!
To My Ability, and a Fair Price!!
I Had A Double carpal tunnel release about 16 years ago, the Palms are Still very Touchy, Therefore the Most Advanced Tool for my Problem, The LINDSAY Classic!!

Thanks Steve!!

"If you are patient in one Moment of Anger,
You will Escape a hundred Days of Sorrow."

Last edited by ChrisB; 05-18-2007 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Platinum

When I started engraving, I became an anti air tool snob. The only work done with air tools that I saw looked inferior to the best engraving work i was seeing, which was done with hand powered tools.

During my training, I was required to do at least one project with an air tool, that the school had. This was not a Lindsay tool!

I didn't like it, and I thought the hammer and chisel was easier for me.

I came into contact With Steve when I took over the on line courses offered by MCC in NC. I was new to the web, and when I saw his site, I was floored!

Suddenly, the best engraving I had ever seen was being done with air powered tools!

I didn't know if I would ever get that good, but I was afraid that I had little chance, unless I had the tools that had made that work possible.

To state it briefly, it was the appreciation of beauty, and the desire to create it. Steve's tools are an amazing bridge between the creative impulse, and its realization on metal.

I believe my initial impression and judgement were correct. To achieve that level of work, which I as of yet have not done, it is necessary to have the highest quality tools.

To continue the baseball illustration from above, there are some people who will hit homeruns no matter what kind of bat they use. Then ther are those of us who, with the right bat, and only that bat, can see our fly ball outs turned into grand slams!

Take care,

Tom
Old 05-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Platinum

Big UN
Just a note - Steve DOES have a payment plan - with no interest. Its just a100% down and nothing more to pay!

Actually, If you just "pay yourself" in a drawer or account somewhere, about $250/mo then you will have it sometime sooner then never - and hopefully before the prices go up.

PS - that $250/mo will buy you $3000 worth of equipment (more than just the PC - $2700) in one year.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Platinum

Yep, I understand the down payment thing! Funny you should mention a self-payment program....I have done that with the GRS stuff, thinking a little here and a little there would suffice, but I was wrong. I'm now in the process of gathering all my "stuff" to put up for sale and just add to whatever money I get for a PalmGraver and the new sharpening rig. Don't misunderstand me, I learned a lot with the GRS equipment and will continue to do so, it's just the fact I blew my knee out a while back and steady work on the pedal really hurts at times. I like them both, GRS and Lindsey, as well as Ray Phillips NgravR tool, but times change and we need to adapt to whatever helps us do better work.

Bill
Old 05-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Steel

I hope a budget plan ,

Austin
Old 05-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Platinum

Default Cutting with the NITRO G20

WHAT A PIECE OF PERFECTION!!!
I have about all the GRS equiptment you would need to become a great engraver, but it wasn't complete...
I was impressed with Steve's palm graver and wanted to use one before I bought one, so I found Ray Covers School of Fine Art Engraving on this forum and called about his intermediate classes, I was impressed with his web site and the engraving work he has done on his web plus he has all the diffrent engraving equiptment with no salesrep to sell you something... I used his Palm Graver for a week and before the week was finished I ask Ray to call Steve and tell him I have to have one and would he overnight one or just drive down to St. Louis ares and we could go to lunch...
Well I know now that there's waiting list and sometimes it maybe 3 to 5 weeks wait...OK I'll Wait... I got home 4/28/07 and the next week or so I was getting more and more excited...
I played with my GRS equipt for the wait period and have only picked it up 2 or 3 times after just to compare the two... Now I may sell it and put the $$$ toward another Palm graver or whatever Steve is cooking up...
Also in Rays Class was Paul Hamler so, you know I had to have his Sharpening Device, That made life so much easier, Everyones Got to have one... Also Paul brought some Cobalt 2mm drill and 3/32" square brass tubing that he fashioned into gravers, what a great graver and IDEA...
Another Class member was a Lady that Manufactors and Engraves Flutes...Plat,18K,14K,Silver, WOW!!!
www.williamsflute.com
Gail Williams had her Lindsay Tool she brought with her as did Paul Hamler...

Oh, I was the only one in the class that didn't have a Palm Graver, that should tell you something...
OhYea' Ray Has All the GRS Equipt so I was at home for a short time...
Check out Ray School!!!
www.rcoverengraving.com
Thanks Ray
Thanks Paul
Thanks Gail

JL Seymour

Last edited by jlseymour; 05-20-2007 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:23 PM
Gold

The Question posed was why did I choose the Airgraver

Well I have always enjoyed working with my hands and have a some artistic ability but I also have developed a little arthritis in my hands. I wanted to learn to engrave so I signed up at a local college for the gun engraving class and there were the monsters the Meister rows of them. I tried to use it but by the end of a couple of hours I could not open or close my hand needless to say what that thing was doing to my hearing so to the internet I went. My searches paid off leading me to the Airgraver so I ordered one and the day it arrived was I ever happy and I was able to engrave all day with no hand problems.
Then the new problem a knee implant was needed a total replacement of the right knee but by this time the PalmControl was available and you know the rest I had to have one I now have 2 of what in my opinion are the finest engraving tools ever developed the original classic with the foot control and the PalmControl with both pistons and now I have a tool for every job that I want to do.
In short I am no Lindsay, or Cover I am just the average guy but I have the finest tools at my disposal and the help of all the fine members of the forum and Steve to answer all else. I do not know when he finds time to design and invent but I for one want to say THANK YOU STEVE for the fine tools.

Tom White
Old 03-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Steel

Back from the depths.
I want to see more answers.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Platinum

I thought this could be a fun poll.

If you don't own one yet, you can still have input, just explain the reasons that you would like one.

Precision and ease of use. I heard that the grs tools depend on springs that create an imbalance. Steves system is a constant flow of ease.

2.Besides the AirGraver, what other products would you like to see come from Lindsay Tool?

Tutorial on how to sharpen each templete. Maybe a dvd series from steve or members on this board. I thought Christan "basic technique for builino engraving" was a great instructional video.

3.Who has been the biggest influence in your life with regards to engraving, and why?

Phil coggan by far has been my biggest inspiration. His bulino work fascinates and amazes me with how detailed each of his projects are. His scroll work is organized and varies from each design he does and makes his scroll work stand out, basically its how i want to engrave.

To explain this a little, I want what do you see yourself doing with your engraving in the future?
Making lots of money? Being a famous Master Engraver? Engraving guns? Jewelry? Making your own brand of knives? What???

My main goal is to live off engraving but not where i'm making millions. Just enough to sustain a healthy life style like Food, water, shelter... basically just living off-grid and engraving. I also would love to do my own line of knives like Ron Lake, Hoel, and johnson.

Tim

Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Platinum

Okay, an update on me. Steve called me not long after I had expressed an interest in obtaining one of his PC's with the offer of trying one out to see if I liked it. Of course, you can't just "try" a PC. You will own it after placing it in your hand...period! After I told him I loved it but could not pay him for it until I had saved up the money, he told me to keep it and pay whatever I could afford, when I could afford it and not to worry about it. It took me longer to pay it off than I wanted to, but he never once mentioned it to me when we talked. Steve is an unbelievable person, and gives of himself often to those in the craft. Working with it is a genuine pleasure, as is working with Steve. The PC is one of my prized possessions.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Steel

I know exactly what your talking about. I have never met a more understanding person in my life. Its a real pleasure knowing Steve.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Steel

I was not at all satisfied with my Gravermeister. The noise drove me nuts, the handpiece was cumbersome and I had a difficult time keeping my foot OFF the pedal which caused many little pock marks in the work. I had the opportunity to try a Palm Control airtool at Scott's Engrave-in a few years ago. I attended with the main goal of trying and comparing this with the Gravermate/max. I was so impressed with the Palm Control, I never asked to try the GRS thingy. I have been using push gravers from day one, so the Lindsay PC was just like the tool I was used to using, but with so many advantages.

I do have an idea that would be beneficial to western style engravers. I've seen a few attempts at this type of tool about 25 years ago, but the inventor was not satisfied with his device saying it needed further development. He is no longer with us and I'm sure Steve could figure out how to do this right should he decide to. I won't mention what it is because I'd rather not see anyone else beat him to the punch with an inferior product should he decide to pursue it.

Probably my grandparents. They had a lot of hand engraved things... silverware, and engraved glass goblets. I was always fascinated with the crisp, fine lines. Also, George Bickley, a master jewelry engraver I apprenticed for in Denver taught me a lot of engraving "tricks" and about running a trade shop and finally, the instructors at Gem City College where I learned the basics.

I've already achieved most of my original goals, and just looking to continually improve the quality of my work. Also, I hope to change it up a bit and try some gun engraving and motorcycle engraving and develop some fresh design motifs for these projects.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Gold

My story starts when I was taking a on-line class from Montgomery college in engraving. While we all were on line one night talking about our problems in engraving Steve Lindsay came on to answer any questions we had. I stayed in contact with him and bought one of the beginning gravers called the "Chasing". Mine was number 42. Yes he numbered them back then. I went to visit Steve at his shop at a later date and as we were talking he made me promise not to say anything to anybody about what he was about to show me. Steve pulled out of his pocket a tool that did not take a foot pedal to operate it. I say "it" because you see this thing did not have a name yet. He did a demo with it but as all demos go it didn't work to well HA. But I could see that this was pretty special. I had to have it but of course it was not for sale yet. It is like putting a peice of candy on the table and you are told you can't have it. Later Steve needed a name for this tool so a contest was held to name the "it". Steve can correct me but I think a guy in England won a classic for comeing up with "palm control" name. Yes engravers named this great tool. Again Steve thanks for making engraving a little easier to do. Jack
Old 03-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Steel

Hi,
I bought an Airgraver because I could not see the tip of my chisel well enough anymore to do detail work. I had no problem using a hand graver, which allowed me to huddle over the work and see everything well (with magnification) but that method did not work well for the deep cuts on steel. I was not going to invest in a microscope so I investigated the pneumatic tools. I became convinced by looking at websites and forums online, that the Lindsay system was the best. Therefore, I bought a classic and away I went. My decision was spot on. Steve Lindsay's tools, including the sharpening jigs, are the some of the biggest aids to my engraving along with learning to draw well. As far as engraving influences, I am mostly inspired by the nameless engravers of firearms from the 16th-19th centuries. That is the work I try to emulate since my passion is recreating early firearms. While I admire and am often mesmerized by modern work, I do not aspire to it simply because I have no interest in modern firearms and the designs and styles simply do not look appropriate on the early guns.

dave
Old 03-06-2011, 01:15 PM
Gold

got mine because ron nott told me it was the only way to go . i used a h&c for a long time which was all i could afford at the time. i did very well with it, before the air graver . it,s only a lot faster and cleaner cut . i would not go back , makes no sense at all. i still use the h&c as needed from time to time , but rarely. john pilk
Old 03-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Steel

I bought mine because: On another forum everyone seemed to praise Grs tools, and bashed/locked/deleted any thread that whispered Lindsay, or said anything negative about Grs. I did my research and made the correct choice.

Lane
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to JRon

I was in my teens (late 50's-early 60's) and was quite busy pin-stripping and airbrushing hot rods. Moved to the suburbs, almost the country. I was working on a 57 chevy cov. with a continental spare, painting a supercharged turtle with slicks and helmet on it when my older gentleman neighbor from across the road came over to see what i was doing. He was in his 70's at that time, after a while he asked me to stop over and see him when I was done. Turns out he was a retired engraver and showed me some of his metal work. i was impressed. He offered to show me how to engrave and I took him up on it, doing silver Christmas holiday trays with Santa etc. He told me that durring the great depression he made more money than any other period in his life (those that have it will spend it on art). Started collecting Colts and S&W's, by the time I was in my 20"s I had a very extensive collection. Going to gun shows I came across engraved guns. then i met jack Prudhome from Shreivport, and that did it for me. Jack was a great help in getting me started. worked with H&C and Burin for years., Gravermiester got me started with power assis then gravermax and gravermach. THEN CAME LINDSAY it was like driving a Porche............There Is No Substitute!!!! I primarily use the Artisan because it has proved a great addition to my work on firearms. I started selling my work in 1968 and wished I had a Lindsay at that time no telling how much more I could have turned out. The quai;ity of the work with the Artisan speaks for itself, and there is no one better to do business with Steve Lindsay
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Copper

Tim, are you at liberty to give me an address or email for Jim Small? Thank you. Hadley Perdue
Old 08-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Copper

Good day to everyone, I'm an artist from the philippines and wanted to try my hands on engraving. may i ask what is the best engraving machine for a newbie like me? and where can i possibly buy it? how much would it cost me. Thank you very much.
-Fergus:
Old 09-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Gold

If you want the best result you want the best tool so I bought the Pc airgraver and still think it's worth every penny. At the shop I work we have a gravermax so lumpish after you workt with steve's tool!
Old 03-31-2012, 08:42 PM
Steel

Hi all,
I've had myairgraver for a few years now. The most important reason I bought it was that with my carpal condition, the ease of of use of the airgrave has allow me to continue to enjoy engraving.... wayne
Old 04-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Steel

I haven't saved up quite enough yet but when I have it will definately be a classic p/c.One advantage to being monetarily challenged is it forces one to do the research and due dilligence. So,because I'm in a chair I will need the p/c.because of the arthritis it will be a " Lindsay".And since I live in an assisted living place I need it to be quiet,one more pluss for the classic.Jeez,I didn't realize until writing it down,I sound like a pretty hard core case for a 54 year old.Not so,I've been this way my whole life so I don't have to go through a lot of the mental adjustments that some one who has had it and lost it has to go through and I was lucky enough to be born with a burning desire,,,make that an unabateable need to create and learn.In my book I think the ballance of things are in my favour.I just love this forum and the like minded people who inhabbit this space.My hat's off to all of you and especialy Steve for creating it.You contribute to more lives than you'l ever know my hopefully some day friend.....Pat
Old 04-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Platinum

Hi,

I bought my air graver because I like quality tools and the super after sales service Steve provides with them.

A simple tool very effective in its performance.

SE

Old 04-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Steel

Hello everyone. I have only been at this for a year or so, I had a work accident 4 years ago this month that left me with a severe back injury. I have to spend my days watvhing tv or surfingm the web. I became interested in engraving after coming across some fantastic guns that had the most beautiful engraving scenes on them. I have some artistic ability, drawing and watercolor painting but I have not done any work for years, lost interest. Engraving seemed to be a good fit for me so I bought the h&c stuff and started hacking away, believe me my 1 st efforts are described accuratly. All the while I was reading everything on thi and other forums,and I did the research on the grs stuff but the Lindsey stood out above the rest. I saved my pennies and bought an Artisan, I was in love when I took it out of the case. My dad was a mechanic and of course I helped in the shop from age 11,he aways bought the best tools and he always said that there is no substitute for quality, and I know a great tool when I see one. I give credit to everyone who contributes to this forum for influence, you all are great for sharing your knowledge so shelflishly. Thanks to Steve and that wonderfull tool I am notafraid to show my work to anyone nowadays. I hope to one day to be considered a good engraver, and maybe earn a little cash to boot.:Thankyou all[1]:
Chris
Old 08-14-2013, 12:02 AM
Steel

This thread seemed better suited for an introduction, so I hope it's ok to revive it.

I've been wanting to make a change with my own direction in art lately. Spent the last 15 years riding the bleeding edge in digital art (3d/animation) working in video games. I feel like I need a new outlet. My career started out as a hobby, and turned into a good paying job. I'd like to take this approach again with engraving. Had no expectations when I started out in 3d, just followed my heart to see where it led. I feel that is a good approach to walking down this new path. I'm also hoping that some of my digital sculpting skills will transfer over to this new medium. Should be an interesting experiment for me at the least.

I'm no stranger to the need for good equipment, and I've always invested my income back into my tools. I'm looking forward to producing real, physical objects that one can hold in their hands. I've always loved old world, handmade things, so I want to try my hand at producing some myself. For that I need tools. My research has led me here, and I've got about 90% of the Tools on this site in my shopping list now! (ouch!). It's going to take me some time to get everything I want, but for now I've ordered some of the books on this site to continue my research and for inspiration while I save. Next I'll purchase the hand tools and practice old school to get a feel for and appreciation for the craft. But my plan is to get my hands on the classic palm control as quickly as possible in order to progress and produce as much as I can as fast as I can! The testimonies I've read here have completely sold me on the air graver.

I have to say this forum is a wonderful find on this big ol' internet. Such amazing talent, passion, and downright good, helpful people. I'd like to stick around for that. I've been having a blast going back through all the old threads.

So, greetings all! Pleased to meet you!

James