Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,739. Welcome to our newest member, KarriG
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Steel

Default Bull Elk Bulino

I am still working on my bulino skills (a life-time journey). This is a bolo tie made entirely out of reclaimed sterling silver with a brass rope border for the bull.

I wonder, to get the amazing detail in many of the bulino art I have seen, the artist must spend considerable time and even smaller divot marks than I am using? I spent 24 hours with this bull elk and still I get a very pixelated look. Maybe 24 hours is just the start of a true bulino. At any rate, I enjoyed working on this elk. The client is very happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0317.jpg (49.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0332.jpg (98.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0440.jpg (72.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Bull Elk Bulino

Turtle,

An engraver like Fracassi may spend 200 hours picking in dots into a scene that size and it takes a reputation like his to get paid for it. To me, bulino (actually puntini) engraving is kind of an all or nothing proposition. It has to be done to the highest degree to look good. Lesser jobs will usually look better in the line cut style or relief.

When it comes to scrimshaw the artist can work a little faster but again you have to have an afflunt clientele and a reputation for high end work to get paid for the kind of work done by Katherine Plumer and Ron Jr.

Roger
Old 02-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Platinum

24 hours is not a lot of time to spend on a bulino or banknote figure. the attched pic. of a hawks head had more than 24 hrs. in it at that time and more to be done. its about the size of a thumb nail. you just have to keep working on it till it looks right, but your well on your way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00222 - Copy.JPG (110.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Platinum

I should add thats with finding the correct reference, drawing, metal prep.,and transfering.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Platinum

The Bleile's are correct when they say that 24 hours isn't a lot of time. I just posted pictures of a superposed. I had more than 8 hours in just the labs head and that was using tiny lines as well as dots. And you're using just dots! I had an great engraver that told me, when I asked him how many dots is enough, that it's like an eskimo gathering firewood for the winter. Once they think they have enough, they get more. And once they think that is enough, they get even more! And so on! Keep up the good work!
Rich
Old 02-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Steel

Thank you Rich and Carl! I really appreciate the words of wisdom. The client that hired me to engrave the elk had a limit; which I went over but ate the cost for quality. I would rather have my work say that I care than to have it say I ran out of time and want my money. I am hoping to devote the time my next piece will take so that it may reflect the patience and picture quality I am looking for. Thank you again for your words.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:43 AM
Steel

Roger, thank you for your post. I could not agree more. As I journey down this road I am reminded how many hours and years I have in front of me to build an honest reputation. I do so enjoy plucking out a photo into metal. Unfortunately, as you mentioned, I do not have the reputation that allows me to spend my time working through all the exact fine details. I love my side projects for this reason, I can spend the time needed to build my reputation. Thank you Roger!
Old 02-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Platinum

Turtle,

One of the ways to build your reputation is to let people know who you are. If a potential customer is viewing this site and likes your work how do they find someone named Turtle. I recommend everyone who intends to earn income from engraving to put your real name in the signature line and your location in the header (which you have done).

Also, I found a couple of people to feature in my last book on this site. Without any way to identify them I would have passed them by.

Best wishes,
Roger