Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Platinum

Default another scrimshaw nude

Hello everyone! Nope, I haven't fallen off the scrimshaw bandwagon, I've just been working on colored pencil commissions for a while (the other side of the business). It's nice to be making some scrim now!

A week or so ago I put up one of my first scrim pieces on ebay (the nude that I posted, um, in August I think). It sold and I got a lot of nice comments so I figured what the heck, I'll make another one. So here she is! This is 7/8" by 1.5" on pre-ban elephant ivory piano key. Entirely stippled, and WOW this took a long time. I don't use any air-powered tools, just an etching needle. I thought I'd be getting quicker, but actually I think I'm getting slower! However, I think I'm getting better and am able to do more detailed work. I will be posting this on ebay as soon as the ink is a little more dry.

-Katherine
Old 03-30-2008, 04:55 AM
Copper

Default Re: another scrimshaw nude

Nice work Katherine I have always enjoyed scrimshaw of classic nudes, dont seem to see very much of it but it is always good to see the classics. Do you use referance works for your inspiration I have always liked the pin ups of Albert Varga and such others.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Platinum

Thanks Dingo Dog, I appreciate the comment. Yes, I use photo references for my work, and I do like the "vintage" look.

-Katherine
Old 04-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Steel

Really nice work. Right down my alley. I do a lot of vintage portrait art, and also a lot of nudes, but don't combine the artforms much because of the difference in my clientele.