Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Steel

Default .

As many of you know, I received the new updated palm control from Steve.
I have since been putting it through its paces.

I engrave at very shallow depths and much smaller line lengths compared with most of you. In fact I see that you are all asking and waiting with anticipation for the heavier tungsten hammer for the palm control. :yesnod:

I have no complaints and nothing but good to say about the palm control or the foot control model for that matter. I had been using Steve’s chasers hammer for the past couple of years since riding myself of the old spring drive tools that I used previously, until I received the palm control. I am afraid I have not turned the chasers hammer back on.

Back to the hammers, I was using a steel hammer that comes with the unit, but had Steve drill out some of the hammer to lighten it up before he sent it. It worked well that way but still found myself wanting lighter taps even with the control ring shut completely off and barely pressing on the handle.

So back to Steve to beg him to come up with an even lighter hammer for me. I think he thought I was crazy. :willy_nilly: He did however after some thought to the matter come up with a titanium hammer that has turned out to be just the ticket I was after.

To achieve the same cut I was getting with the modified steel hammer with the adjusting ring completely shut,…now using the titanium,… I open the adjusting ring to where the first hole in the body just starts to show. This allows me a much greater range of light taps down to when the control ring is completely shut and barely pushing I can engrave very controlled cuts at a depth of almost a “scratch”.

If I do decide to engrave something where “heavy” cuts would be required, I can simply take the handle off the palm control, dump out the titanium hammer and replace it with the steel one, a matter of seconds to replace. If I ever decide I want to engrave the driveway,,,well guess I to will have to wait on the tungsten! :yesnod:

Hats off to a wonderful gentleman and wizard in the design/ machine shop. Not to mention his willingness to help meet my needs for this extremely versatile tool. No other company I am aware of will go this extra mile in designing something that was not offered as “original” equipment, just to make a “full bubble off” customer happy!!!

j.c.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Gold

Default Re: more on the palm control...

Very nice.... Steve treats ya like a neighbor, is the way it should be. Unfortunately thats a rare thing, some people, even in our own industry, have a tendancy to do exactly the opposite.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Platinum

I have both tools, the Classic since 2001, which is the foot pedal model and the Chasing 2005, which has the Palm Control Handle on it.

I can put the PCH on either tool, and like changing the hammer, it takes just a few seconds.

I can give you a hundred reasons why the tool is better then most, but the best reason is the quality of service that Steve gives his customers.

The tool is built of the highest quality steels, and the simplicity of the design makes the tool far more reliable then tools with springs and more moving parts.

These rules are as simple as gravity, fewer moving parts means, less to fail.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Gold

Send a message via MSN to Harold

I have had my PCH a year this month. Steve has spent a lot of extra time with my graver making sure it was perfect. I played with a tungsten piston at Ray's class and one is now on order. With this piston it made a whole new sound.

Titanium is on order now also .
Old 12-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Glad you're liking it JC, and thank you guys. I'll work on getting titanium pistons made. I spoke with the company that is making the tungsten again. They said they would ship Monday, although this is what they have said for the last three weeks. Hopefully this time it will happen.

Thanks again JC! Roughed out a few burl handles for the palmcontrols while figuring the best process to make them. Hope to offer these soon.

Steve
Old 12-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Platinum

I also want to say how nice it is to have Steve on my side. I am not as advanced as the rest of the engravers here, but he treats me just the same, probably better, as he takes the time to help a non-pro out and give advice on stuff you guys no longer think of. I am very impressed at the tool and the MAN. I'd buy the tool because of the man, not just the tool - which has to actually be used to be believed. Yup its expensive, but when you feel it come alive in your hand and respond to your thoughts - well, that is something words don't convey.

Hey Steve, where's that palm demo unit, so some of the non-users can try it? I'll even stick the post on the KNIFE NETWORK for you.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Hi Danny, Thank you for your kindness!

I should try sending out a demo palmcontrol again. The one Andy has was suppose to be a demo, but he kept it and sent a check back. The orders are coming in for them. I'm around 4 to 6 weeks behind. The footpedal models I'm keeping up with and can get out within a few days. You're right though, it would be good to get a demo PalmControl circulating around. Any ideas how it would work? And how do we prevent them from doing what Andy did?

Steve
PS.. Andy, I forgive you and Thank you!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:04 PM
Platinum

Hi Steve,
The way to keep a demo from being bought up like before is to make one no one would want to keep but works like the one you would buy.
I'm thinking a bright orange handle with DEMO in big letters across the back or side.
This way the customer will want to return it so they can get the stock one.
Just hope no one likes the orange you pick.
It worked with $400,000 machinery on a test basis, and you could always find it in the factory when it was time to send it back.

Tim
Old 12-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Platinum

Make it just like a normal one - just charge $500 more for it. If they keep it - you keep the difference. If they want one and return it then you get it back (and any monies they may have paid as a rental get applied to the new tool). Not too many people will pay a $500 premium for the same thing, but have to wait a month to get it. Doing both means he paid $500 more for it and it says DEMO on it - GUARANTEED RETURN.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:00 PM
Gold

Steve: What is the different between the tungsten piston and the titanium one on the classic?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Tim, An ugly orange handle would sure do it! I wouldn't be excited to send one out that way though. The $500 extra idea would work too. There is a 45 day return on equipment minus shipping. Those interested can effectively try them for 45 days and only pay shipping.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack
Steve: What is the different between the tungsten piston and the titanium one on the classic?
Hi Jack, The weight. Tungsten is heavy and titanum light. Steels and stainlesses are between the two. The density of tungsten is almost twice that of lead.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Platinum

Lets see, a palm control that is infinitely variable from heavy to light, with the "normal" piston, a Tungston one so very heavy grooves can be made, and a titanium one so that extremely light grooves (surface scratches) can be made. Say, just drill out most of the center of the Titanium one and you have a unit that will just barely mark foil! An inifinitely adjustable unit with 4 different pistons - how could it possibly be adjusted more?! From 1/16" gouges to foil scratches! Now that's adjustablility! (I am personally waiting for the "auto-control" unit - you just speak to it and come back later to the finished product! (now you just have to think it through the project))!

Don't take offense guys, just having a bit of fun with the serious input.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Gold

orange handle is not so bad but the word demo in big letters would sure put me of.the thing is ones u have one it would be difficult to let go and i could understand wanting to keep it .mabe steave sould just make more(hire some of santas helpers ) and if you like it, it could be yours.