Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-22-2009, 11:54 AM
Copper

Default New guy checking in......

Hello out there! My name is Rob Bunting and I joined a little bit ago but have just been looking around at old posts mostly. By way of introduction, I've been a metal smith and engraver for over 30 years. I started out in the jewelry business where I met my wife Rebecca, also a goldsmith. It was then that I got the engraving bug when my boss bought a Gravermeister (pretty new technology in 1979 or so!).
For twenty years I got "sidetracked" with a wholesale craft business selling repousse copper wall hangings and weathervanes to galleries all over the country. I still do some but I burned out on production. I figure I hammered and cut over 10,000 critters out of copper over 20 years.
Fast forward to about six years ago when Paul Lantuch called my wife amd me and asked if either of us would be interested in helping start an engraving studio at Ruger's Southport, CT corporate headquarters which is about an hour from where I live. I thought about how burned out I was doing copper and answered yes and haven't looked back!
As some of you may know, Paul Lantuch was Bill Ruger Sr.'s personal engraver for 11 or 12 years. He taught three of us a lot of what he knew about basic engraving and design, including inlay and relief carving and all,and then let us loose.
Anyway, since then I've gotten to do some pretty cool projects including the 5 Millionth Ruger 10/22 and the 30 millionth Marlin rifle and others. I really enjoy doing critters and relief and feel like I'm finally developing my own style scroll. If you have questions about working on Rugers I can probably save you some grief! They can be difficult in a lot of ways!
This has turned into a book but what the heck. Better a little too much in one shot than dribs and drabs forever. I really enjoy reading all these great posts and look forward to joining in, when I'm not trying to make a living like everyone else!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Gold

Default Re: New guy checking in......

Welcome! I look forward to hearing from you on tricks to engraving Rugers. I have heard of their difficulty, but I am quite fond of my rugers and I know that some day they will get some engraving. I would love to see some of your work posted, if its possible.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Platinum

Welcome Rob!

Glad you joined up. I was glad to see Ruger start an engraving shop. I have been a fan of Ruger firearms since I started getting into guns.

I would love to see pics of your work, and please include some of the repousse work!

Take care,

Tom
Old 02-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Platinum

Rob,

You are very fortunate to have learned the craft from such a great engraver and classical artist. Please keep us posted on your projects.

BTW, why are Stainless Ruger Vaquero loading gates so rediculously hard?

CRB
Old 02-24-2009, 02:49 AM
Platinum

Welcome on the forum
Old 02-24-2009, 04:26 AM
Platinum

Welcome, Hope to see your work...
Jerry