Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Steel

Default Adone Concise review

Adone in the instructional materials section, shows a rifle he did with the Lindsay graver.

http://www.airgraver.com/Concise%20Review.htm

I noticed he says he used two flat gravers, one for cutting and one for shading.

Does anyone know how he used the flat for shading, I love the way his shading turned out and would love to know what his technique is for the shading.

I would be grateful for any help.

By the way I just purchased the Classic and have never engraved before, I did how ever use to do realistic wild life art in acrylics and dabble in wood carving.

I have now acquired the talent to restore vintage watches and plan on integrating this art for some special watchmaking.

Dale
Old 01-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Steel

Default Re: Adone Concise review

Hello Dale, and all others...

Your question was brought to my attention and it deserves an answer since I think there may have been a slight misunderstanding in the engraving terminology. The background removal and shading on the engraving you mentioned was cut with a Square graver and not with a Flat graver, I think there was some confusion in the two and I can certainly understand that since its easy to do. The tool is a standard Lindsay Graver square blank, and a better graver steel I have not found anywhere!!!!
In regards to how it was done, nothing special at all, straight cutting, not tricks nothing fancy, just lines. I keep things as simple as possible, no more that 1 or two tools on any job and usually their only defining difference is in tip size. Otherwise I try to keep to one shape one sharpening style and leave it at that. What's important is finding that 'thing' or that part of engraving that's uniquely yours. :whoo:

I hope I have answered your question Dale.
All the best
Adone
Old 01-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Platinum

Hello Adone!

Nice to see you posting.

I hope an occasional cameo appearance here will be forthcoming from you!

:yesnod:

Anyway, I guess I need to visit your site. it has been too long.

All my best to you!

Tom

PS to all who don't know him, Adone is a wonderful engraver, and has helped me greatly over the years.

T
Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 AM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdoneGalleries
Hello Dale, and all others...

Your question was brought to my attention and it deserves an answer since I think there may have been a slight misunderstanding in the engraving terminology. The background removal and shading on the engraving you mentioned was cut with a Square graver and not with a Flat graver, I think there was some confusion in the two and I can certainly understand that since its easy to do. The tool is a standard Lindsay Graver square blank, and a better graver steel I have not found anywhere!!!!
In regards to how it was done, nothing special at all, straight cutting, not tricks nothing fancy, just lines. I keep things as simple as possible, no more that 1 or two tools on any job and usually their only defining difference is in tip size. Otherwise I try to keep to one shape one sharpening style and leave it at that. What's important is finding that 'thing' or that part of engraving that's uniquely yours. :whoo:

I hope I have answered your question Dale.
All the best
Adone
Thanks so much for your detailed reply, I was admiring your work and am quite simply amazed, there are so very many talented artists here that it really is a bit overwhelming.
I agree it is important to find our way that will be uniquely ours.

I feel I will have no problem finding that comfort zone in the carving area, I think that learning how to shade is going to be the big challenge.

Thank you for taking the time to personally respond to my question.
Dale
Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Steel

Thanks to all for welcoming me.

Tom, hey there , how you making out these days? drop me a line I'd like to hear what you've been up to, it's been some time now. I sure hope all is well with you and your family and also with work.

Dale, you're most welcome. Don't worry about the shading it's hard for everyone at first but in time it all comes naturally.

Later
Adone
Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Hi Adone :seeya:

Here is a link to Adone's website www.EngravingArts.com

Adone's engraving and website are all first class.

Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 01-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Steel

Hi Steve,:whoo:
Thanks for the kind words, I feel the same about your site, art, and tools. I've enjoyed the privilege of using your AirGravers for many years now and believe me it's a privilege compared to the tools I'd previously used.
Sometimes we make excellent choices life and the Lindsay AirGravers were all amongst my finest!

Now Steve, if you can do something about inventing prosthetic eyes I'd be willing to prototype them:smilie5: , mine aren't what they used to be

Have a great day
Adone
Old 01-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Platinum

adone .. It is great to hear from you again and welcome to this forum . your work has been and is always breath taking , keep posting and show us some of your latest work .. ron p. nott/coltengraver
Old 01-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Steel

Hi Ron,
I hope all is well with you.
I haven't been taking many photos over the last several years, I got lazy

Talk to you later
Adone
Old 01-10-2008, 05:39 PM
Platinum

Aldone
Thanks for the great web site, FYI your review was one of the reasons I went with the airgraver( better hide the wife is looking for you):smilie5: . Thanks again and great to see you on the forum Dave
Old 01-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Steel

Hello Dave,
nice to meet you and thank you for the kind words, I'm pleased my review helped you decide. Dave, I think your wife is just jealous that she didn't get her very own AirGraver for Christmas this year, make it a family affair. :smilie5: Raise AirGravers, All for One and One for All !!! :willy_nilly:

All the best
Adone
Old 01-10-2008, 10:15 PM
Platinum

Adone,
To put it simply, your are my favorite engraver on the planet. Thanks for your input.
Otto

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:58 AM
Platinum

Hello Adone,
Congratulations! What a great site!

I like all the great engravings of your informative website.

Thanks

Zernike
Old 01-11-2008, 07:28 AM
Steel

Hi Otto, and Zernike,
It's a pleasure to meet you both, thank you very much for your generous words towards my site and work. There are so many outstanding artists in the world that it's truly humbling at times, I'm just lucky to be able to scratch together a decent image.
We are all great at something, trick in life is finding it and making good used of it. I got real lucky it only took me 37 years to figure it out. I must have taken the scenic route

All the best
Adone