Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Steel

Default PalmControl or Airtact ?

Which is best the Lindsay PalmControl or the GRS Airtact ? What are the pros and cons ? Enlighten me . Regards Flintlock .
Old 01-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: PalmControl or Airtact ?

Hi Flintlock,
That is easy. The Lindsay Palm Controle.
Why? You pick it up and get going.
With the airtact you will have to learn how to get it right.
Furthermore it is yet another extra box on your benche where the PC keeps it all in your palm.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Platinum

Hi,

Here are a few threads on comparing the two.

http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1375

http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=956

http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=523

AirAmp
Old 01-30-2009, 07:19 AM
Steel

I appreciate the feedback received on my query of which is preferred, the
Lindsay PalmControl or the GRS Airtact? I have asked the same question to many well-known engravers out there. The overwhelming majority has advocated getting a Lindsay Air Tool, whether it be palm control or the Classic for those who like foot control. None of these individuals had anything to gain by telling me this, in fact, many have GRS and Lindsay equipment in their studios. I've found an engraver near me who has both types of Lindsay air tools and is willing to let me try them out. I hope that in doing so, once and for all I'll have my answer. Thanks again for the info and opinions. That's what makes this site a unique venue for people who are interested in the engraving arts. Regards, Flintlock
Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 AM

Flint,

You have a fortunate situation that I hope you'll avail yourself of in having both close by to try out. That is the best way to make a choice rather than only having opinions of various folks. Having them in your hand is worth more than all the verbiage in the world.

Don't just play around with them though, really spend some time with them and try to get used to them to help you form an accurate determination. Cut something that causes you to stop a lot and change directions like a leaf or scroll, rather than just cutting lines and circles. This will give you a better idea of their respective response, chip throwing, and the start/stop ease of each one. FWIW
Old 02-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Steel

Thanks, Tim, for your response and advice. It's been a few years since I've had a GraverMax but I'm not a complete novice to engraving, so trying the Lindsay tool should be an enlightening experience for me. I should have plenty of time to work with both hand pieces and I have plenty of practice plates to take along. After I give the tools (Palm Control & Classic) my evaluation, for whatever it's worth, I'll share my preferences with everyone. I'll be honest and objective. I don't want to be redundant in addressing an issue that has been addressed before but it'll be new to me, and maybe some others out there as well. Regards, Flintlock
Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Steel

Hello, all: I finally got to try a Lindsay PalmControl today. Special thanks goes out to Dave London for giving me the opportunity to try these unique tools. Initially, the PalmControl felt strange to me, but after a few minutes, I started to get the hang of it. The more I engraved, the more fluid my movements became. It was rather addictive, I didn't want to put it down.
I must sheepishly say that I was so engrossed with the PalmControl that I didn't even bother trying the Classic w/foot control. I figured that for me, going back to a foot actuated tool seemed archaic after using the PalmControl. I realize this is my opinion and everybody is entitled to one. I don't believe that any tool makes the engraver, it takes time, sweat and hard work to come up with the necessary skills to do this art form on a professional level. It is also my opinion that the intuitive nature of using a hand actuated tool will shorten the learning curve. It may not be magic, but then again, it might be the biggest advancement in engraving we've yet to see.
I also found in using the tool, even on a short first-time trial, that in a nutshell, I found the Lindsay PalmControl very much to my liking. Give one a try and form your own conclusion.