Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 06-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Platinum

Wink Anyone know?

I viewed a post on here that showed a co2 tank on a hand truck or bottle dolly with the gauges mounted on some how. Does anyone know who or where that post is. I don't seem to be able to find it. I tried a search for co2 power but that didn't work

Neil:yesnod:
Old 06-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Anyone know?

Neil

I was sure I could spot that thread - I also 'remember' seeing that setup but all I could find was the shot Steve has of a 20oz bottle with the controls on it.

But I really do think that someone had posted a picture of a much larger tank with a set of regulators mounted on the tank dolly that they use at shows.

Hopefully whoever that is will see this thread.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 06-29-2008, 05:18 PM
Platinum

Wink Re: Anyone know?

I hope so, I would like to study that, I think I am going to set up that way for shows. It should be a good draw to my table.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:23 PM
Steel

Seems to me like it was Tom White although I couldn't find it on the forum.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Platinum

Thanks for looking. I am sure someone will find it or remember it and give me a link. It is not imperitive as I have the basics in my mind but would like to look at his setup one more time before I begin.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Platinum

I think it was a post by J.T.Kinney, but I can't seem to find it either.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Platinum

Thanks for trying Gail, Maybe its lost. I wonder do any of these posts time out and are gone? or do they just create more pages and remain on the site?

Old 06-30-2008, 04:36 AM
Platinum

Barring mishap or administration decisions, vBulletin stores all pages in the database as standard. So, in theory at least, the thing will require more & more storage space as posts are added to the forum.

Additionally, short search terms (3 letters usually) are frequently refused as they can cause a huge load on the server (go searching for the word "the", for example and think how many pages that would return!). On the other hand, you can use Google to search many vBulletin installations - like this one, although I'd limit the search with the site:engravingforum.com term.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Platinum

Oh - and here, probably, is the post you were looking for -
http://www.engravingforum.com/showpo...7&postcount=57

Looks like it used to have pictures - with them being hosted off-site, they aren't archived along with the text; if they're deleted from the off-site source, they aren't visible.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:46 AM
Platinum

I think that this post also has the same thing, http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=614
It was posted in the post that I put in a few days ago about using the carbon fiber tanks with the Airgraver.
Tim C
Old 06-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Platinum

Neil

You could just do something like my Box O' Happiness for shows and use the 20oz tanks. You'd only need to have two with you each day (one spare in case the active one runs dry) and they're a lot easier to deal with than a large tank.

You could bring a 20lb tank along to refill the 20oz tanks in the evening.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 06-30-2008, 08:14 AM
Platinum

It was the one by JT. the picture didn't come up when I clicked on the link so I will try and access it another way and see what happens, thanks guys.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Platinum

As long as you use standard regulators to reduce the pressure, you can then use a hose hookup from the tank to the Steve system. Just put on a compatable hose end on one end of the hose.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Platinum

Yeah, I got the basics, I just liked the way that one was set up. I think I can duplicate it from memory but just wanted to see it one more time. I pulled up JT's post but could not see the picture.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:02 PM
Platinum

When I finish up here I'm going down to do (sort of) the opposite.

I'm taking an idea someone mentioned in another thread and adding a 'cup holder' to my bench for the 20oz tanks. I picked up a 4" PVC Cap and a fitting that adapts it down to 3" (I think). I'll bolt the cap to the leg of my bench and slide in the adapter. If the combination isn't tall enough to keep the 20oz tank secure then I'll leave the adapter sitting up higher (rather than fully inserted) and use some caulk to keep it at that level.

That will make it more convenient (and a bit safer) when I use my AirGraver at my bench. Probably rig another regulator set to run it off my compressor one of these days but right now CO2 is cheaper than another regulator.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 06-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Platinum

Yeah the 20 oz ones are OK but I want something that will last the whole of a 3 day show. I was thinking that if I could mount the ball on the dolly as well that would be better yet.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:09 AM
Platinum

Steve,
Just a thought for your cap idea, remember that a pvc coupling is the same size as the cap. If the cap isn't deep enough, think about using a coupling higher on the leg to keep the top of the bottle from tipping over.

I have converted to "compressed air" for my travel system, I'm using a carbon fiber tank to power the tool now.

It will last all weekend, and I can still have the CO2 tank for a backup power supply, using the same regulator from Steve L..

No additional regulator is needed for the carbon fiber tank, it has the reducing regulator installed in the neck of the tank to reduce the discharge to 800 psi. That is all that is needed to use the regulator from Steve L. on these tanks.

Good luck on your project,
Tim C
Old 07-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Platinum

Tim

I found a 4" -> 3" reducer that slides (tightly) into the 4" cap. Had to do a very small amount of scraping of an inner ring so the 20oz tank wouldn't catch but that only took a minute.

Mounted the cap to the bench, just slide the adapter in part way and I've got a 'monster cup holder' to put my regulator right where it's handy. It also means that the tank is out of the way and can't tip over.

Neil
You just need two 20oz tanks (active and spare) and a larger tank back at the hotel (or other home base) to fill them from. Depending on where and when the show is you could even fall back to getting them filled somewhere local but then you have to get there.

At that point in the future where I do a show I'll take my Box O' Happiness, my regular ball vise, and my OptiVisor(s). The micro ball and smaller visor I keep in the Box are ok, but not as good as the larger / heavier ones. Oh - and my spare tank, of course - the Box just has the one in it because lunch is only an hour.

(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album