Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 09-18-2008, 02:21 PM
Platinum

Default Help needed, I'm ready to buy

Beginner here. I've decided the Classic airgraver with the foot controller is my best choice to learn engraving as my hobby. I'm hoping to engrave western style buckles, knives and maybe firearms. The Brian Marshall school 35 miles from me will not be having any beginner course until next year sometime (waiting on info after Nov. 2nd from Brian).
Meanwhile my plan is to buy the Classic & Power Hone and start cutting practice plates with the info from videos and tips that I have gathered here. My only worry is the blank steel gravers I get. With no experence I'm not sure I can rough out and sharpen a graver properly. I wonder if I can buy the graver already sharpened for now. How long until it gets dull again? I'll wait on the other tools needed until I get the basics down.
What do you think? ..........Thanks ....JohnR

Also: How important is the length stroke adjustment. Would the Artisan work for me?
Old 09-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer
Default Re: Help needed, I'm ready to buy

Hi John,

If you buy a Lindsay graver with footpedal I believe you get a precut graver with it. For your graver sharpening I would get Steve's system to cut the gravers http://www.handgravers.com/sharpening.htm and maybe the powerhone http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1644 that is adjustable to work with these templates.
I asure you nothing can go wrong with sharpening your gravers with this system if you follow the instructions correctelly.

The stroke length adjustment is pretty important to be able to make fine or broad lines possible with the least effort. The tungsten piston is important for the heavy work.

Hope this helps.

Daniel
Old 09-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Platinum

John R
Welcome to the forum and the wonderfull world of engraving. Pretty sure Steve still sends a pre sharpened graver with the tool. Don't use it keep it as a reference. As for sharpening I would go with the previous advise
Old 09-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Platinum

Welcome John, you will get some good info at this joint, pull up a chair...
Jerry
Old 09-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Gold

Welcome to the forum John! I am about 99% sure that Steve still sends a pre-sharpened graver with the Classic......I bought mine in Nov. of 2007 and it came with one sharpened and a couple of blanks. The advice mentioned before is right on que......if you read the directions carefully, you should have no problems. It will all make more sense once you have a sharpened graver in your hand so don't be intimidated. Steve's tools are world class in my opinion and my advice to you would be to get the the best that you can afford. I couldn't be happier with my Classic.....well, yes I could.....if I could afford to buy a Palm Control adaptor kit! LOL! You will find lots of info on this site that is shared by some of the best in the business. I know that I truely appreciate all of the pointers and tips that they so openly share.

Have fun and enjoy the forum!

Regards,
Dan Grubaugh
Old 09-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Platinum

JOHNR,

This is a no brainer. Get the Lindsay sharpening system. Let me put it this way: My brother Carl, my fellow local engraver, Jeff Flannery, and I have a combined 90+ years experience engraving and sharpening gravers. Within the last six months we have all purchased the Lindsay system. Need I say more.

C.Roger Bleile
Old 09-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Gold

Don't forget a "GOOD" vice..........
Absolute necessity..

CJs Motorcycle Engraving Class
CJs BLOG
& CJs ENGRAVING
Old 09-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Platinum

Thank you all for the info. and support. I saw the used Classic for sale on the other site but I'm going to purchase mine from Steve that way I know its new and has a good warranty. I also don't like giving $999.00 cash to someone on the internet, not knowing him. Lot of scams going around.

Thanks again......JohnR
Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Platinum

no doubt, the lindsay is a great tool. his sharpening system produces a really good tool geometry. at first, a numbskull like me didn't understand his patented geometry at all. but with his system, you don't have to understand nuttin ! it just worx ! without thinking, and i like that. you dont have to set anything. the angles come "preset". i believe he still allows a 30 day return period if you're unhappy with the airgraver, but you'd have to check to make sure on that