Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 09-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Gold

Send a message via Yahoo to tonytigerhk45
Default Why Should I Swich From Hammer And Chisel To Air Graver

I would like to know the benefits of Air graver's over the hammer and chisel. The only experience I have with the air gravers was in school, and I used it mainly for background mating and shading. Please let me know what types of benefits are achieved with the air graver. The only thing I know I need is the sharping system. Please enlighten me.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:35 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Why Should I Swich From Hammer And Chisel To Air Graver

Ok, first thing I have to say is that I've only played with H&C, and not very much at that.

Now then:

Instead of holding the graver in your weak hand you hold it in your strong hand - unless you're much more ambidexterous than most folks that will mean you should have better control.

You'll get a more consistent cut. Every 'hit' by the pneumatic system is exactly the same. You can turn the power up or down, which will change the strength of the hits but they'll all change.

You should be able to cut longer. Not that it looks like there's a lot of strain in H&C (as opposed to push where it's all you) but there's even less with air-powered. Go all the way and skip the foot pedal and you don't even have that 'strain' (which really is a problem for folks with leg/foot problems, of course).

Backgrounding - you already know how easy air power makes stuff like stippling, where you pretty much just 'paint' it on.

Those are the first things that pop into my head. I'm sure the folks like Phil Coggan who've fairly recently made the switch themselves will have a lot more to say on the issue.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 09-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Platinum

I still use the H&C a lot, esp today on an old Fox I am recutting. It took me a good while to transition to the foot pedal. I have played with the PC, and would love to have one.

The main advantages to the Airgraver are several. It is easier to cut smooth scroll, as you turn the vise with your free hand, and opposed to moving your body, the turning the vise, etc. Another advantage I have found is the ability to control fine shade cuts better than with palm pushing, and the ability to cut more lightly with control than with the H&C.

less tool point breakage is another advantage, and generally cleaner cuts are the norm as well.

You can use a scope with H&C, but the AG makes it more convenient.

Another benefit i have found is the ability to cut with confidence on large or oddly shaped objects that you have to sandbag or hold freehand.

As far as lettering goes, it is easier to cut more heavily than with palm pushing, but with more delicate control than with the H&C.

HTH !

Tom
Old 09-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Platinum

There is perhaps 4 or 5 years that I work with airgraver and 15 years with hammer and chisel.
In the beginning I had a GRS tools with two handpieces and I just play with it when I did the tipping background and shadows lines.
For remplaced my H&C it isn't possible because I didn't have enought power.
After I bought a Palmcontrol by Lindsay and I have seen the difference of power into one tool and the big various power, very light and strong.
Now I just use my H&C for the big work but I believe in a futur it will be a except when I work with it.
My last work I using only my Palmcontrol for all.

Before knowing this tools I never thinking to do this work without H&C.
I believe Palmcontrol is complementary to H&C or H&C is a completary to Palmcontrol.
My Palmcontrol change my vision of my work.
My father use only H&C and for him it is very difficult to believe that airgraver is a good way. He never try it ;-) .
A lot of engraver think the same thing because H&C is a tradition and in their mind perhaps you are different and a revolutionary.
The most important it is the result and not the way that you take ;-)
Old 09-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Steel

Roland
That is very elegant, what a beautiful design. Thanks for posting it. Got any close ups of the shading and back ground ? That would show him the fineness of control the palm control has.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:05 AM
Platinum

Thanks, you can see work progression here http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=2041
or in my website
Old 09-04-2008, 04:36 AM
Platinum

Why get a air powered engraver vs H&C? I have taught week long and weekend seminars H&C only. I msyelf learned H&C and made my livng with it H&C and push work. I have taught numerous classes and tutored individuals at my home where airpower was used. At the end of 3-5 days, I see most people with average manual dexterity executing better work than I was capable of after 12 months of H&C practice.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:49 AM
Platinum

It is a different way but with Palmcontrol you can make the very fine work.
With your H&C you don't make the same finest work. You can use push graver but the fluidity line is easier with airgraver.
I had said it my father work only with H&C and me I learn with it too but I feel better my work with Palmcontrol.
Each work, engraver, sensibility is different, now you must do your experience yourself ;-)
Old 09-06-2008, 04:35 AM
Gold

Send a message via Yahoo to tonytigerhk45

Thanks for all the input. One thing I would like to know is it easy on the joint and hands. Or do you get the tingling hands like with other air powered hand tools when you use it for long periods of time.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Platinum

Tony...The nice part about an air tool is that it takes the stress out of the work. I just had my Classic handpiece converted over to a Palm Control. My reason is to introduce it to the handicapped. I would rather sit down and engrave..I have been using the hammer & chisel for years standing and walking around a pedestal. I teach hammer & chisel, but like Steve's Palm Control, because it is 99% maintenance free..all you need is air either from a compressor or a co2 tank...no need for electricity..or foot control. I just placed an order with Steve for an Artisian handpiece. You would benefit by
getting an air graver.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
Manassas, VA
Old 09-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Platinum

if you are getting tingling while engraving I think you are holding the handpiece too tight. I see this often with beginners who think they have to strongarm the tool rather than let it do the work. Or you are working at a wrong angle and your bones are pinching off your blood flow. Try movin the vise to a different height, probably lower, so that your elbow to wrist angle is closer to horizantal
Old 09-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Platinum

Or, if your concern is with vibration from the tool transferring back into your hands, then nope - you don't get any that I've ever noticed.

Part of that is probably because the mass of the tool is so small it just doesn't have a lot of vibration to transfer. Part of it has to be that the tools are designed to focus all of the vibration into the point and there's not much feedback.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 09-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Platinum

Tiger,
You don't see Lindsay's system's for Sale, but you can buy allot of other power systems for sale eBay and some other places...
I though about putting a Palm Control on eBay with info about engraving just to see what will happen...
There has been allot of gravermax and gravermeiser on eBay...
Read some of the engravers comments about the Lindsay System from other...
All of the power systems are better than HC and push, so find someone in your area and try it...
You know Steve will let you send his system back (call Steve) if you don't like...
enough,
Old 09-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Platinum

Lets get one thing straight: There is no difference between hammer & chisel and a Palm Control!

Ok, there is "one". The Hammer and Chisel is 2 tools and the Palm Control (PC) is all in one tool; that you hold comfortably in one hand and just guide it where you want it to go. But other than that, there is no difference at all! (They both cut metal). True one is easier, simpler, less strain on body parts, easier to control, less damage to parts, but other than that they are the same!

Ok, OK, the P.C. costs a bit more, so theres 2 differences.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Platinum

Send a message via AIM to Ray Cover Send a message via Skype™ to Ray Cover

No Tony your hands won't feel like you have been mowing an acre with a push mower

To me this is the big reason. Think claw hammer vs pneumatic nail gun....faster, smoother, easier.... need I say more?

Ray

http://learningtoengrave.com/