Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Copper

Default Examples of engraving on slate.

These two are examples of my form of engraving. I am using natural unfinished slate, to keep the textures and blemishes, which I think add to the work.
I have only just started this hobby and these are numbers 3 and 4 of 4. I would appreciate any critique, good, bad or indifferent, and any other comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sarah a.jpg (160.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Tamarine Dragon a.jpg (169.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Examples of engraving on slate.

What work have you studied by stone carvers? I do not know what is possible with slate, but I think you would find more depth effective. Meticulous design and layout is just about mandatory with lettering, and well this is carved in stone. What size is the work? As you have just started it is difficult to critique the artwork, I would concern myself with mastering the skills and techniques for a time. It appears you like Celtic design seems an excellent choice for the medium, scary looking worm, I believe they are known as dragons to you English.

Bob
Old 01-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Gold

Hello Katlomas, go to your local book store, art shop, or used book store and find a book or books on Celtic art and study knots. Drawing is 9/10ths of things. Looks like you are using burs to cut into the stone. Practice drawing, and your work will pick up immensely. Calligraphy is also nice to know. Go to the website: http://www.thecarvingpath.net/ It's a great place to see other carvers, most here just do metal, although I am sure there are a few here who have done stone. All the best and help yourself to a lot of reading.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Copper

redgreen: I haven't studied anything in this area. It was just an idea I had. I do know that my technique and skill has to be polished; these are my initial efforts. I am using a Dremel engraver, to carve into the slate, rather than carving around the images as would be the case in sculpting. I thank you for your comments.

hand e dave: Thank you for the link. I have done some knotting and calligraphy, but not for many years. My hands are not as steady these days, so more patience is called for, I think.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Platinum

Slate will carve easily with a push tool. But it does have a grain. Figuring out early where the lift is is essential to fun.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Platinum

Hammer and chisel are the tools you need to do stone caving. These are the tools used on slate also, the Dremel will be nice for cleaning up and polishing I'm sure. Unless your into Netsuke stone carving is fairly large so the Dremel will be very slow to use to do the carving with. I found some interesting blue stone that polishes nicely and have considered trying some netsuke type carving, I'm just so lazy.

Bob

chujybear: I didn't think slate would be soft enough to cut with a push tool, I'm going to have to go to Arkansas and get some when I can.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:43 AM
Platinum

Red green. 90% of my models I do up in slate. Files and push exclusively. Slate has a grain and can shear quite easily.
I know what you're driving at tho. It does harden up more and more over time. ... But remains carvable. For that reason I do like to carve my slate fresh. And paint it up immediately after it is harvested in order to maintain that freshness
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Copper

Thank you, everyone, for your replies. I appreciate the time you all have taken to help me with my new hobby.
Kat