Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Lindsay AirGraver Info - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Steel

Default Artisan vs. Classic

I'm poised to buy a PalmControl AirGraver. I've read over Steve's product descriptions many times, but I still can't make my mind up which one is better suited to my needs. I will have to buy this tool blindly as I'm unable to try out somebody else' tool to get some impression of what I'm getting into.

Obviously the lower price of the Artisan is somewhat attractive, but then I wonder if I'd be depriving myself of the fine tuning capabilities of the Classic.

My objective is to enjoy learning to engrave. Please bear in mind my total engraving experience thus far, is watching Steve's demonstration videos and practising with push gravers on some copper plates (I hope in time to progress onto silver).

The experience tells me I want to advance to an AirGraver and I think I should do it before I learn any bad habits.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:51 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Artisan vs. Classic

Gravy, I start learning engraving last year and my condition is similar to you. I also try hand push on copper to see if I can go further before I purchase any expensive tools (to me all engraving tools are rather expensive except the most important one_blank graver). I don't encourage people to buy expensive tools from the very beginning but experience told me: buy the very best you can afford from the very beginning, no matter it is engraving, playing guitar, violin, machining or photography. But before you made the decision, make sure you love that kind of art and you will not quit easily, then every money you spend is worth and the tool/equipment will accompany with you for many many years. Just my opinion.

I cannot tell you the different between Steve's tools as I got only the Palm control. Steve do have a return policy and if you found the item is not suitable for you, you can return it to him. Don't worry about Steve's product quality and service, he is far far better than the bad Victor business!!! Maybe you can visit Jimzim75 and try his one......

I am not a salesman of Steve, I always think his item is "crazy expensive" (sorry Steve, it is just my though) but I have no hesitation to buy his Palm control by the first time I found his website (by that time I have already bought another system for just one month, they don't accept return!!! I have to let that system dusting!!!!), I am very happy with my Palm control since I open the parcel .... Worth!!!

First of all, you need to make sure if you love engraving or not, otherwise, no matter what tools you are going to buy, the result is seeing them on e-bay... or at a corner of your workshop for dusting!!!

Zernike
Old 03-01-2008, 04:00 AM
Steel

G'day Gravy

I have a classic, if you are able to drive up to Albury you are welcome to try before you buy.

regards Russ
Old 03-01-2008, 04:58 AM
Gold

Hi Gravy,
I've got two systems. I was use to the GRS system. I went tried out
both the Artisan and the Palmcontrol. The Palm is in a class of its own.
It is the best designed system on the market. By the way if you
want the same features as the Artisan, you can get it with the palm.
By adding a foot control and changing the tuding on the palm. It will
double as a Artisan.

I know about this feature but have never really wanted to do that.
It's fun working with it, as is. The only thing I would suggest is to buy
the tungsten piston also. It's gives extra range and are dead simple to
change.

Jim

Jim Zimmermn ~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~Alpine Custom Jewellers & Repair
Hand Engraving Canada ~-~-~-www.handengravingcanada.com
Old 03-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Gold

Gravy,
I have both the Classic and Artisan. I prefer the foot control to the PC but that's just me and the way I use the tools. Yes I can engrave with the Artisan but with finite control of the power setting that the classic has it's much easier to engrave with the Classic. By all means if you can afford it get the Classic. I bought the Artisan for a backup to replace my Gravermeister which I used for digging out backgrounds, stippling and other like tasks. Incidentally the insides of both tools are the same and interchangible.

Roger
Old 03-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Henrichs
Gravy,
I have both the Classic and Artisan. Yes I can engrave with the Artisan but with finite control of the power setting that the classic has it's much easier to engrave with the Classic. By all means if you can afford it get the Classic.

Roger
That's good enough for me! I'll buy the Classic then.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:40 PM

I have one of each tool he ever made and If I were to have one to start engraving with that would serve me for the rest of my life I'd get the classic.

When you get more budjet later on you can get a palm control which is my favorite. A classic will do anything you will ever need to do and do it well. Tim
Old 03-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Gold

Hi to All,
I just received my Classic, and after a few pratice cuts I was very happy with the responce, and smoothness of this tool. The differance is like daylight, and darkness compared to the other tools on the market. Yes Steve's tools are a little pricey, but worth every penny. If you compare the price of the other leading product with a foot control to the Classic with foot control there is only about $150.00 differance. That $150.00 gives you a fantastic differance in quality, not to mention more room on the bench. Now I have ONE TOOL that covers all my engraving needs, and I am loving it.
Thank You Mr. Lindsay for this Grand Classic Adventure.

JT
Old 03-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Steel

I just ordered a Classic PalmControl.

Apparently there's about a two week backlog, so I'll just have to be patient.

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice!
Old 06-19-2008, 08:18 PM
Platinum

Wink Re: Artisan vs. Classic

I have both GRS and Steves Classic, I wish I knew about Steve's tools before I went to GRS. I Can't say enough about the classic. It is a wonderful tool that is very customizeable. You can put a tungsten piston in it for heavy cuts. or the stainless one for lighter cuts, you can vary the air pressure for more cutting ability and you can adjust the stroke for very fine detail work. A very fine tool to begin with and to grow with.

Neil:yesnod:
Old 06-20-2008, 07:04 PM
Platinum

Good advice there guys.
My recommendation has been the following:
If you can afford it, get a PC and a tungsten piston, and the optional foot pedal.
That will do everything.
If you are a strict budget , get the Artisan with the tungsten piston and a footpedal, it will do almost everything.