View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 05:03 AM
Steel

Default Re: Paul's Contest Submission on learning lettering Engraving

Finished the plate today and it went fairly well.My big mistake was lightly refinishing the plate after i cut it, I am practicing on brass and it tarnishes very quickly I wanted the photo too look good but the refinishing took a little of the sharp detail away, live and learn.

Cut most of it with a flat then hairlines with the calligraphy graver and I think this look sharp, what surprised me was I cut the final numbers with the calligraphy graver and they turned out quite well. I have been cutting under the microscope and have been trying to cut very carefully, but I am wondering if i am cutting to slow . My cuts are generally better (smoother ) if i cut a little quicker.I just worry that any mistakes are a a bit more severe.

Finished plate

Took these through the microscope, focusing is a little difficult but the images look good, maybe a little too good, dont want every body seeing every mistake.

Microscope shots

I think with my next plate I might try to cut the lettering with the calligraphy graver and try to cut a little faster and see if that improves my control a little, I am also wondering if I am trying to practice this on srcipt a little too big ??

Paul