View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 03:46 AM
Platinum

Unhappy Re: Lettering Engraving-Shaded line, need help.

Dear Steve,
Thanks for your advise. Today I re-sharp the flat graver (10-20 round heel) to try again, everything is out of control, the line getting more wavy!!!

Your suggestion of having a fine line to the end of the wide cut is very useful but from the above photo you can see, there is a "triangle area" left not cut at the end of the stroke, add a fine line can only level the top but the un-cut triangle is still there?

About the flat graver and square graver, I understand that why a 120V graver is better than a square graver because the "twist" angle when cutting is less.

But I found when use the 120V graver to make the wide cut, I need to rise the handle a bit more so as to get the cut wider and this make the cut very deep, otherwise, the graver just slip! I have difficult in using the pre-shaped graver that comes with the palm control airgraver, I found the attack angle is great that I use before and it is very difficult for me to roll the graver to make the wide cut.

I also try your suggestion of make several light cut so as to make the deeper and wider cut but never success. The second cut always slip on top of the first cut and if I increase the attack angle, the graver goes very deep into the plate.

For the S logo you show, I would like to know how you handle the wide cut as they are wider than the width of the graver.

I would also like to know how you cut the small circle at the end of the fine line.

Anyway, I draw another smaller one and have a try. oh......

Maybe this is the most ugly engraving even show in this forum, Sorry!

Below is another exercise trying to have wider strokes, not so good!

Thanks again.

Zernike