View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Platinum

Default Re: "Christine's Fighter" SR Johnson Knifemaker, Barry Lee Hands Engraver

Quote:
"I may have mentioned before, I don't think of this in euclidean terms, that is, leaves on spiral stems based on the golden mean originating from points of origin, but in Copernican/Newtonion//Einstienien terms; my leaves are heavenly bodies of gold describing elliptical orbits around incredibly dense black holes, with cores of neutronium represented by negative space which has been obscured by clouds of invisible mysterious dark matter. . . "

Barry,

Now you are getting me even more interested, thank you. Your art and craft are to the fore these days, but I do remember that you have a degree in electronics tucked away in your back pocket, and so you are particularly well placed to use art to move us all closer to today's cutting edge work in cosmology. I think we may both agree that whereas scientific/mathematical types can certainly manipulate the behavior of such things as gravity, spacetime, mass, quantum behavior, etc., the best minds are still like babes in the wood, and struggle to give any answer to a child's innocent question, "what is mass/space/ energy/ etc". The field is wide open to any who can project us into the core of this tussle. The problem with life, as another Johnson (not Doctor Johnson) once said, "..is that life is so familiar, however it is deeply mysterious ...". The artist's canvas may be quite powerful, as we get deeper and deeper into this. I say that anyone who faces even one moment of being alive, totally open, is to know that Life is a terrifying miracle, almost unfit for human consumption. That's what we bit off at birth, so what to do with it?

Okay, enough of all that, but I bet Kepler, Newton, Maxwell, Einstein, etc al, would love to have your knife on their person, to gaze into it for inspiration, even if it was just to occasionally sharpen their pencil, as they continued to jot down the next bold idea?

By the way, that wonderful communicator, 'string theory' guy, Brian Green, is presenting a "Fabric of the Cosmos" weekly on Nova:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics...of-cosmos.html

You would love it, he would love to see your knife, and what you have just written here ...

best

Rod