View Single Post
Old 12-25-2007, 07:33 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Perazzi in progress

Zern, You are very observant and I can tell you are really thinking these things through.
This Gun will be inked and laquered when finished, with no case color or blue. These guns are sent out by the factory fairly hard, so it will essentially have a "coin finish".
Because of that all the gold work needs a fine accent line cut along the edge, In the steel, to make it stand out.
I dont cut the accent line deep enough to affect any undercut.
Usually I don't inlay wire quite the way Steve does, I use a " Rolled Edge fastening ", a technique I developed on my own after many years of using the traditional "undercut fastening". I do put teeth in the bottom of the relieved cavity before I hammer in the Gold. I use the traditional undercut to do sheet inlays.
When I do large layout I often use an elipse template to put on the first half of the scroll, then I draw in the rest giving the clean, then rough,layout lines you noticed.
The main advantadge to this template method is quick layout with all the scrolls on the Gun on the same scale, which is very hard to do freehand.
There are exceptions of course, but I very rarely draw in the leaves, I find it gives the work a dull, cold and mechanical feel. I prefer to cut freehand, which allows me to do my "gestalt" in the moment creativity with the layout.
It is, after all, Art, and it should feel easy and almost effortless when things are going well.
The piece is almost complete, all the small bits and the frame are finished, I am just going over a few small areas.

Here is yestedays pic: