View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Platinum

Default Re: 1858 Remington Revolver

Hi Ron ... you're the best buddy. Looking forward to December's show. I might have this Remington sold as soon as the case is in.

Thanks Airamp, I've been hangin' around this forum here for a bit as you know but just never thought about this show + tell section. Aside from the bracelet tutorial, I've been kinda holdin' out ... unintentionally of course.

I took a beginner class 3 years ago where I basically learned how to sharpen. From then on I am self taught. Studying every book I can get my hands on as well practicing my drawing skills.

Generous friends like Ron Nott have given me a little push here and there. I'm practicing the bulino technique now after meeting with Carl Bleile. I'm looking forward to meeting his brother Roger who is also a very talented engraver and author. The kind of knowledge that is passed on in any of these forums can't compare to what is learned in experience through others that you can trust. Brian Powley is over in Ohio and I'd like to get over to visit with him too. Great people that have taken their time to share their knowledge and friendship are the ones whose legacy truly lives on. As long as I continue to engrave the best that I can, I'll never let their influence be forgotten. It is this reason why I will try to help and tutor new folks the best I can. Passing on knowledge should be the gift that keeps on giving .... and one that will keep engraving alive and strong.

As for tools ... my current tools have served me well and I am still working toward the Palm Control .... the Holy Grail of tools. I'll leave it at that because the ability to do this work is not hidden in the tool.

I engrave full time and began this Remington as a personal project which kinda got out of control when one of the jewelry stores in Charleston expressed interest in displaying it. The majority of work I do is wholesale + contract jewelry engraving. I engrave firearms for fun and simply to satisfy my need for a good challenge now and again.

oh ... by the way ... the footer quote is just a bit of my humor.

Chris

Hi Van ... we were posting at the same time. Thanks for checking it out. I've shown this before but these are the latest and best photos I have of this project. You're one of the first to see these closeups.