View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Platinum

Default Fay may come to visit.

To all you folks on the West Coast of Florida, Fay may be coming to visit.

FEMA called yesterday to activate me for this storm, this is part of the Joint Recon Rescue Emergency Plan (JRREP) that was established for storms in Florida.

If a storm will hit the west coast of Florida, then people that are on the east coast will respond to the Emergency, and vice versa.

I am “inactive” because of my disability, as a R&R Supervisor, I have all the plans for all the streets and utilities for all the Cities and Counties along the west coast, at my home.

I gave them my assessment of what will be needed if the storm arrives as a TS, Cat 1 or Cat 2. I also gave them a Catastrophic Event scenario to use if the storm comes in as a Cat 3 or above.

The storm could pass west of the coast and hit the Panhandle as a major storm.

The main concern at this point is that the storm might slow down, that will allow it to sit over the Straits of Florida where the water temp is 87+ degrees. With the feeding currents in those waters, it could intensify faster than expected.

FEMA is sending a Blackhawk to pick up the plans that will be needed and the Emergency Plan that I have prepared.

I have a field next to my home where a helicopter can land, Life Flight helicopters use this field all the time to transport injured people to hospitals.

At least this time I don’t have to get on the copter, just give them the plans.

Don’t be frightened by what I have said here, these are “in case it gets worse” scenarios.

The storm is not expected to get over a Cat 1, expected path and strength is really with the storm skirting the coast as a TS, but Tornados are expected.

Everything has to be covered.

Landfall is expected around Tampa, or just south as of this morning.

Good luck, and stay safe.:tank:

Tim C