View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 06:54 PM
Steel

Default Re: Lindsay or Grs system

Hi Daniel,

Like Stan and Steve, I have both in my shop, and have about twenty years with the GRS tools. I got the Classic about six months ago. No competition at all. It's like the difference between a driving a Ford Station Wagon and carving turns in a Porsche Turbo 911.

Most (like 90%) of the work I do with the Lindsay is standard goldsmith stuff, stone setting, burnishing, driving pins and rivets, pounding platinum investment out of crevices, raising beads, etc. As you said, it is much simpler to operate. One of the biggest differences I have noticed is maintenance. I used to have take the 901 handpiece apart and clean it about once every couple of weeks. I've taken the Classic down once (which takes about two or three seconds), and that was really because I figured it must be getting dirty, and I'd rather clean it now than right in the middle of a job. It was fine, and I haven't messed with it since. It just keeps on rockin.

The other major, huge difference is in the smoothness, especially at very low power settings. The 901 would start humming and then take off. Really a pain in the butt when I was doing fine detail work under the scope. The Classic just purrs and then purrs a little harder. If you set the speed of the rotary valve on the GraverMax very high, it would start to float (and stop hammering), like valve float in an engine. That was also a major pain. With the Classic, you get just the power you need, no more, no less. Need more power? Twist the adjustment ring. Need even more? Pull off the handle, drop the piston out, slap in the tungsten piston (which is missing from your list, by the way, don't forget it), slip the handle back on, and start hammering away on that 18k white gold bezel.

If you are used to foot pedals, the Classic will serve you well. Ten minutes of getting to know you time, and you won't even notice. I haven't tried the Palm Control, so I guess I'm not really the expert about how much better it might be, but I have had nothing but good times with the plain old Classic. Just wish Steve would crank out a burl wood handle or two. In his spare time, of course. :thumbsup: (Just kidding, Steve)

You won't be sorry for your purchase. After you have it a while, try out a 901 on a GraverMach. You'll know you chose well.

Here's a piece I just entered today in the Jeweler's Passion Award Contest. Did it all with the Lindsay Classic. Couldn't have done it nearly as well as with any other tool. It really has helped my work a lot. It'll help you too, I promise.

Dave