View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Platinum

Default 1st Tutorial Contest

Hi folks--

Welcome to a new contest forum! I'll get to the proposed contest rules/deadlines/fabulous prizes in a moment, but if you're interested let me introduce myself first.

My name is Kaitlin Lindsay, I'm Steve's daughter home from college for the summer and also working for the business for pocket money. Up until now that just meant filling out invoices and assembling parts of AirGravers, but since we're swamped I've also been assigned to watch this corner of the forum. Lucky you guys. :P

On to the important stuff!

Contest Rules
As per the suggestions compiled in this thread by gravertom and others, contestants should complete an original piece of engraving from start to finish, posting photos and comments illustrating that process. The more descriptive you can be in your pictures and writing, the better.

HOW TO ENTER: Just start a new thread in this forum with a descriptive title like "John's contest submission" and reply to it with subsequent WIP photos and commentary. This is not a critique! Only the artist may reply to his or her own thread until winners are announced at the end of the contest.

PRIZES: There will be one winner in each of three categories: Most Improved, Most Informative, and Most Outstanding submission. Let me borrow gravertom's descriptions since he's already taken the time to type it out. Ty gravertom!
Quote:
1 Most improved engraver.
Contestants in this category must submit two projects. The degree of improvement will be judged by the panel of judges, improvement in design as well as execution will be evaluated. The judges will have discretion to determine if an individual's first submission is not representative of their current ability level.

2. Most informative Tutorial-
This category rewards the single project that is most helpful from an educational standpoint. The sketches, photos, and commentary accompanying the project that are most helpful to all of the forums' engraving community will be judged the winner.

3. Most outstanding engraving project-
This category will reward the outstanding engraving presented during the time period of the contest. The other rules apply, with respect to the submission of sketches and photos. The judging will be based only on the quality and originality of the work. The project must be started after the beginning of the contest, and fully completed by the end date.
Each contestant may only win one category, and all three winners will receive $700 towards a new Classic AirGraver, a Classic PalmControl or a PalmControl upgrade.

JUDGES: are TBD.

DEADLINES: the contest is open now! Photos of completed projects must be posted by midnight (central time) Friday, September 12th.

OTHER NOTES: *All submission threads are subject to the EngravingForum.com Rules & Policies. duh.
*Multiple submissions are allowed and encouraged! Only engravers posting two or more submissions can win the "Most Improved" category.
*There are no requirements for the canvas you choose to engrave on. Keep in mind that our judges are only human and may take that choice into consideration when judging the "Most Improved" and "Most Outstanding" categories, however.
*Although other users may not reply to submission threads here, I will re-post submission threads for comments, help, critiques, heckling, etc. on the general discussion forums. If you would prefer not to have your submission re-posted, please contact me either by replying to this thread, on the submission itself, or through private message.
*All projects submitted must be started after the beginning of the contest and ended before midnight (central time) September 12.
*These rules aren't set in stone! If you have a question, comment, or suggestion, please let me know and I'll do my best to answer. Or go pester Dad until he answers. Whichever seems more efficient

Kaitlin