View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 03:00 AM
Gold

Default Re: Gene's 2nd contest submission

Before I start laying out my design on the buckle I had to figure out how I was going to engrave the design
next to the stone setting. I've only tried engraving in tight quarters next to an obstacle such as this a couple
of times before and both were a disaster. I havn't perfected that technique yet. So I had come up with a
way to do the engraving with the stone setting removed thus giving me a clear shot at the buckle. Since
the buckle itself is stainless steel and the setting is sterling, I knew I would have trouble soldering anyway.

So I've decided to screw the setting on after all the engraving is done. However, to get the proper placement
of the setting and engraving design, I had to construct and finish the setting and screw it in place so that I can
plan everything else aroung that. Below is a view of the buckle blank, silver setting and stone. The setting is
in the raw unpolished state.

As I mentioned, I made the setting in sterling using 22 guage as the base. I had to make the setting to match
the same curvature as the buckle otherwise the outer edge of the setting would stick out and probably hang
up on everything, not to mention it would look funny and wierd. The photo below shows the curvature of the
setting. I forgot to take a photo of it before I polished and set the stone, but you can see what I mean here.

The plan now was to have the screws come in from behind the buckle, that way I can install or remove the
setting at will. In order to accomplish this with a good secure and tight fit, I cut a piece of 1/8" mild steel to drop
in beneath the turquoise stone. It was later soft soldered in place in the setting.

By drilling and tapping through the 22 ga. silver base on the setting (which by itself wouldn't be sufficient for
any amount of screw threads) and into the 1/8" steel piece, I feel I have a good strong support for the screws.

Having drilled and tapped the setting w/steel insert, I was then able to set it on the buckle blank and mark and
drill for the the corresponding holes.

A photo of the tools used to accomplish drilling and tapping. From right to left; A) drill bit used with my foredom, B) tap and T wrench, C) #256 torx screw, same as the one in the setting ,D) and of course above the buckle is a torx driver.

A view of the polished setting with stone set and screwed tightly in place. Now I can remove the setting any time
I want or need.

I will have to modify my design slightly because the setting turned out slightly larger than I had anticipated.
However, that should not be too much a problem. Will follow.