View Single Post
Old 10-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Sharpening for goldinlay point.

Hi Vilts and Jerry, I've been meaning to do that. I'm just frankly short on time keeping up but this is something that would be super to have done. I wonder if people that do understand the various uses of these would want to help and write about them and I can jump in when needed. Then, later I can update the page or just provide a link to here in the engraving forum.

There is an additional template that was finished a month ago and that is ready to be sent out, but I haven't had a chance to add it to the site. It is a round bottom template. There is also another bulino template that will be ready by the end of the week together with Roland's template. It is bulino point that Dario Cortini from Bottega Incisioni Cesare Giovanelli in Italy uses. After trying a PalmControl (thank you Philip George!) Dario purchased a PalmControl and provided his sharpened bulino graver through Phillip so that templates can be made for it. Dario's bulino point is similar to Phil Coggan's but slightly different.

The 70 degree bulino template is one that Ray Cover recommended and I believe others are using a narrower graver like this for bulino too. The bulino I always used was just a 90 without a heel. Dario's and Phil's are similar but they grind them tapered on the bottom rather than the top so that the point digs in better than mine ever did.

Roland, would you have time to write a description of how you are using your gold inlay chisel? On Roland's template we are writing numbers on the edges of the template to help people determine an order to grind the facets.
EngravingArtist.com