View Single Post
Old 06-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Carbon Fiber compressed air tanks for AirGraver

Hi Danny,

You ask some good questions.
The size that I have, that is pictured here is just a little bit bigger than the 20 oz Co2 tanks.
From the numbers on the label, you may be able to determine the size that it is. I see a 13.0 CC listed on it but I doubt that this is the capacity. If I had to guess, the top line lists a number 310, I think that this might be to signify 31.0 oz. But that is a guess, I am not an expert on paintball equipment.

A standard scuba tank is quite a bit larger, although there are smaller scuba tanks made for double set-up's.

Compressed air is not really better or worse, it is another way to power the tool.
If the tool used a lot of air, the compressed air would be better because Co2 makes parts cold when discharged in large amounts, that might cause a problem with o-rings.
But Steve's Airgraver uses so little volume that it is not even close to being a problem here.

The problem with using a small scuba tank is that you have to use a reducing regulator to get the 4,500 psi down to under 1,000 psi so that you don't blow the diaphragm out of the regulator that Steve sells with the high pressure.

This is why these small tanks will work so well, the reducing regulator is built into the valve in the neck, all that you do is screw it into the fitting used for the Co2 tanks and you are on your way.

Some shops require that you be “certified”, some shops will fill if you sign a waiver that the air is not being used to breathe. They are used to “paintballers” coming in to get air, it depends on where you live.

If you go in with your tool(s) and show them what you are using it for, they will most likely fill a scuba tank or this little tank if you want.
This is where the info on the fire department may also come in handy, "firemen" like things like engraving, I’m sure that they can help fill the tanks too.

Hope this helps.

Tim C