Thread: thoughts
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Steel

Default Re: thoughts

The next step in narrowing this down, was to select a CANVAS, that would give us a idea of the Highland ENGRAVING art.

Although I had one in mind, I felt that I would attempt to find others . jewelry came to mind, but sadly to say, I was unable to find a a good selection of AUTHENTIC Highland Scottish jewelry from the time period (ca 1650-1800) If any of you out there has some AUTHENTIC examples, PLEASE post them. !!!!

Because of this I reverted back to my original idea. The ALL METAL FLINTLOCK HIGHLAND PISTOL specifically the "RAMSHORN (Scroll) BUTT"

Although the All metal flintlock Highland pistol was made in other configurations,the "Ramshorn, was the major one, & seems to offer the best CANVAS. Here is a picture showing a "Lobe Butt" ( top pistol) & a "Ramshorn"

Some thoughts on the ALL METAL FLINTLOCK HIGHLAND PISTOL

I. It is considered "unique" in the genre of flintlock Pistols.
A. OVERALL DESIGN
B. THE FIRING MECHANISM

Note - because this subject is on ENGRAVING not Pistols, I would recommend that those who wish to learn more consult the following for basic information.
2.http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadinga...78e667a072b306

NOTE_- I am a moderator on this forum & I started this thread as a companion to the posts I was doing here. ( NOTE- it still is a work in "progress, as this is

C. The ALL METAL CONSTRUCTION gives the ENGRAVER, IMHO, the "PERFECT CANVAS", to exercise his/her art.
1. All the surviving examples of this pistol are engraved, even the plainest, EXCEPT one version of the pistol issued to the ROYAL Highland Regiments by the British Gov.
2. The Pistols were made in 2 basic metals (except the above mentioned Gov. issued, which were made in Bronze ( "gun metal")
a. BRASS
b. STEEL ( polished & "blued" )

My next MAJOR post will feature the ENGRAVING. BUT here I need your HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now entering into an area that I FEEL VERY UNKNOWABLE. I can post examples, but I can not "interpret them.

1. How to sort ?????
2. What are the "motifs ?????
3. what are the antecedents ?????
a. other CULTURES ????
4, ENGRAVING TECHNIQUES employed ???
5. ETC< ETC

Puffer