View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Copper

Default Re: Lindsay or Grs system

Thank you , Dave i did all this work because i love complements ha ha . ... to be honest it become my curse .
-- Is hard to do decent work for leaving this days . Average people in the jewelery industry do not recognize the different between " cut corners " job and effort one . or they pretending ignorance about because not willing to pay accordingly .
As artist and craftsman of such magnitude ( your ring is amazing !!) you know that 20% improvement cost about 80% of bench time ..and wee usually put more than 100 % in to finish nicely our project .

So.. i truly appreciate your recognition of my effort . Is almost necessary to have that support from experts (Who does such clean beautiful work ) in order to keep going . Make you feel that you not alone as a minority of thinking kind in the not thinking society .

Your ring is outstanding ....now i have to go back to workshop and work even harder to catch up with you ... i can't stand when somebody is better than me !!!!

answering :
i did set little diamonds in bezels and nearby ones after i set the big topaz
( ..is not sapphire , it was sentimental value family topaz )
The ring was done in palladium ( 10% iridium 90% pall. )
after setting center stone i wrap the whole ring in to cling wrap (food wrap ) and dipped in to JET-SET ( is difficult to remove Jet-set from corners if you don't put liner in between ) to hold prongs from spreading while i was hammering the bezels ...of course i put electric tape on top of topaz preventing from scratching during handling .

On micro setting i precut everything before i place diamonds , ..everything is finish - bright cuts done
i set stones with effect of like " hanging in air " and reflecting like in mirror from the perfect mirror finish from polished carbalt graver ,-only carbalt or other carbide cutters will not stick and drag platinum or palladium .
Setting by this method have 3 major advantages you can afford to do blind setting if is needed .
( It means not drilling all the way trough . ) since there is cleaning access trough gaps on sides -
(bright cuts are going under the griddle )
The most important one is : there is no other way to do achieve really deep clean setting . and the most secure one .
There is more advantages but i have not much time to write more about ..one of them is almost no breakage of stones and no need to sharpening graver every few minutes , since no touching the stones .
Gosh ! how big different is now when all this curving out is done in almost half time by using Air Graver with tungsten piston !!!!..

...Jim , your band is a graceful and delicate as design .. not to mention high level of skills , i'm jealous about your talent and taste .. you guys don't let me rest hmmm ..!!!

...Daniel , to make pendants like that when you were still in school ??!!!!.. now i'm turning purple and my blood pressure is approaching dangerous level ... you guys give me a brake !!

Thanks a lot !

Stan Jarmolowicz