View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Engraving styles and pics.

Thanks Barry, you are the best!

***Just my opinion, I may wrong, be open-mind and don't be offended!***
It is far much better than spending expensive money (when compared with other tutorial drawing books) to buy a book which showing most the drawing of the author, that book shows mostly one style (the author's style) to draw different style of scrolls. This may lead the readers to follow his style, not quite good in teaching and learning.....especially for those readers who don't have too much experience in art, design and drawing! I treat that book as the author's drawing album, excellent works! I like it! But not for my learning of different styles of scrolls. I prefer to see the original style, orignal engraving from original country.

Barry, your turorials, your photos, your efforts... all togehter is really the greatest engraving book in this world. No other commercial available book (except Meeks ‘The art of Engraving’ book) can compare with yours. I hope one day you will have your own great book available in the market. Sure I will buy it no matter how expensive it is, and sign it for me please!

Regarding the open vine scroll of a Purdey you mentioned, I saw another Purdey which is almost the same as yours. The book is "British Gun Engraving", recommended by Martin Strolz from Austria (also an excellent teacher). On page 19, it's caption is: A percussian Purdey, circa 1929, has barrels by Charles Lancaster, engraved by Peter Gumbrell.
I don't know if the book mentioned about the style becasue I just spend my time in "smelling" all the excellent photos, I don't have time to read the text!!!

Hope this may help.

Thanks again for sharing.

Zernike