View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Engraved Rolex

Scott, I still haven't done anything with that video. The files are big! I'll get to it yet though.

Hi James,

The scroll around the outside areas of the Rolex was drawn right on the watch. I pat on beeswax & tallow with my finger and then draw through it with a sharpened wood toothpick. It leaves a polished line. I'll then very lightly scratch the design with a carbide scribe under the scope. When happy with a portion of the scroll I'll cut it and then pat on more tallow and draw more. Some of the scroll on this is symmetrical so I would have mirrored it with an ink print for that.

I don't remember for sure but for the border around the crystal I probably made an ink print of the shape, blew it up and drew design oor a portion of it on paper and then transferred that section. Once one section was done I could make prints and transfer it to the remaining sections.

I didn't try to lay out directly on the dials which I engraved for Gene Clark. Instead I measured the diameters of the dial to be engraved and drew this out with the numerals in AutoCAD. Once the layout was completed in I used autolisp to create a tool path. I have a little maxnc mill that I beefed up and made a very small spring loaded carbide scribe that I use in the spindle. I don't actually turn the spindle on with the scribe but only use it for scratching. I then scratched the layout with the machine on a polished scrap plate. Once scratched, I could make an ink pull from the plate and transfer it to the dial. The numerals were then ready to be engraved under the scope.

I found the plates tonight. Here are pics and also a screen shot of two of the layouts in autocad.

EngravingArtist.com