View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Platinum

Thumbs up Lindsay PalmControl - grs Airtact)

Friends and fellow engravers,

I would like to give the 5 other engravers at Browning and my own true opinion regarding the testing of both the Lindsay Palm Control and the GRS Airtact.............

As promised, I said that I would follow up on my opinion with the testing of both the Lindsay Palm Control and the GRS Airtact. I have had both in my possession for the last month both at my home business and at Browning Arms.

Let me start off by saying, I must give credit where credit is due. Glendo Corp (GRS) has come up with a neat design to try to compete with the Lindsay Palm control. The set up was not bad once I receive all the right equipment. As I stated in an earlier thread, I had a little trouble with getting the right accessories. Note to those who may want to try out the Airtact: make sure you are clear when ordering the airtact which machine you are using and what hand piece you are utilizing.

The Airtact worked. I think that is all we can positively say about it. I say we because there was six of us at Browning that all share the same thoughts, experience and opinions. We had a lot of trouble controlling it at first until we adjusted the air pressure on the Airtact machine. Once we learned how to do that, controllability got a little better. We found that after a period of time of engraving (a few hours) that the hand piece is inevitably going to move. Once the hand piece moves, the sensitivity which you spent a period of time trimming to your liking, changes drastically. Sometimes when the hand piece moves in your hand it seems as if you get a huge burst of air and oops, you just found yourself figuring out how to cover up a mistake.

I am curious, when GRS comes out with hand pieces that are capable of more than 4000 SPM, what is going to happen to those people who are using the gravermax and those using the airtact? Will those people have to get a new machine or new Airtact attachments? Will the new hand pieces have enough power?

I guess having the two machines to operate the Airtact isn't all that bad. We just like the simpleness of the Lindsay Palm Control. There is only one small tube coming directly from the air source. Every other adjustment can be made right on the hand piece. Another great point about the Lindsay Palm Control is, you can use almost any source of air whether it be CO2, compressed air (like a scuba tank), air compressor or heck put the tube in your mouth and use your lungs!

The Lindsay Palm Control puts an unbelievable fun feeling back into engraving. You get gorgeous cuts with the capability of going up to 15,000 SPM. We Found with the Airtact it was like having a restriction not allowing us to go over 35 mph in a 70 mph zone. We really like only having to have one hand piece. The Lindsay Palm Control has a adjustment ring on the hand piece to control the stroke length witch is even a lot finer than the Monarch. It really does make a unbelievable difference. The more you push the faster it goes. You don't need to use a push tool anymore. You can do spectacular exhibition shading with the Lindsay. When you get to that certain depth of shading where you need caution, power magically appears with the Lindsay Palm Control. If your worried about the capability of "plucking, popping, flicking" we found that both Lindsay and GRS equipment responded the same.

Browning Arms Company will be purchasing a Lindsay Palm Control and Foot control. The results are 6 in favor of the Lindsay and 0 in favor of the Airtact. If you are stuck financially You will do fine with the Airtact. But I seriously suggest you find a way to give the Lindsay Palm control and honest try.

Best Regards,

Rich Hambrook
Browning Arms Company