Thread: Phil Coggan
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Steel

Location: Low country of South Carolina near Beaufort and Hilton Head
Default Re: Phil Coggan

Phil; I have been away from the forum for quite some time, something to do with paying the bills. I have missed so much. There is nothing I can add to what's already been said about your work except I could sit for hours and admire it in close detail. I am primarily a jeweler by trade, and a decent commercial engraver as well so I really didn't have much to offer you in the way of advice till now, but a few posts back you asked about refining methods. This is my area. I started refining my own scrap in the late 70's. True, most commercial refiners use the acid or cyanide method, there is an alternate method that is safe and relatively inexpensive. Using a salt bath and electrolysis you can recover three 9's fine from up to a kilo of scrap. the only thing is you won't be able to recover the alloy. The system works with minimal user attention so it won't disrupt your work schedule, and doesn't give off any toxic fumes. I've listed the website of the company that makes the kit. Also if you contact a refiner such as Hoover & Strong here in the states, they have many alloys for just about any application. They even have a peach color alloy ( could be interesting for inlays) Anyway, I hope this helps, and if I could be of any further assistance, my e-mail is perkinsgaryw@embarqmail.com contact me any time.
Keep up the posting, it's very inspiring
Thanks, Gary

http://www.ishor.com/refining.htm