View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Gold

Default Re: For me, it's time!

Thanks everyone, there's a lot to think about here. Again, I haven't heard anyone who dislikes their Lindsay tool. The last thing I want to do is gather up a big engraving tool system, and ultimately regret not getting the best. Budget is always an issue, and right now I'm leaning towards the foot... with the money saved, I can put that into some excellent optics and other goodies to make life easier. So, for the engraver itself, I think it's going to be a classic.

GRS makes what appears to be some excellent blocks. Do you guys recommend the "positioning" blocks for use under a scope, allowing quick centering? Is this a big deal? Again, I'm faced with an unknown, and given the cost of a good block/vise system, I'd like to get it right.

I'm sorely tempted as a machinist to produce my own power hone. A geared or belted DC drive system, mounted under a good MiC-6 jig and fixture plate, and able to accept some GRS wheels, would allow me to economize slightly in this area.

I'm really enjoying this forum so far - some BEAUTIFUL work is on display. My hat's off to all of you!

Edit: I want to apologize for asking a question that's already there, right above this thread, as a sticky. I'll lurk more, and type less.

Kurt

Last edited by KurtB; 03-08-2007 at 10:24 AM.