Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-23-2018, 01:39 PM
Steel

Default Newbie Introduction and Questions

I recently joined to begin the journey to engraving knives. I received a manual handle and the universal graver. Have not cut metal yet; my supplementary lenses for my Omnivisor have not yet arrived. Second reason is I was hanging another axe that has been sitting around since Irma missed us. As other septuagenerians on the board know start and finish a task without interruption. Final reason is at 3PM it is too hot to work in the garage.

Questions start: since most of my knives will be hardened, what is the best metal to use for gravers? Is HSS at 61-64 Hrc hard enough, or will it give up the edge too quickly?

Mel
Old 02-23-2018, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Newbie Introduction and Questions

Hi Mel,

You wouldn't want to try and engrave a hardened knife blade. Next to impossible and broken points. A hardened knife blade can be 57 to 61 RC. Generally the bolsters knives are engraved rather the blade. If engraving a blade you'd want to do that before the blade is hardened.

Were you thinking mostly to palm push while learning or hammer/chisel method? Palm pushing in steel (even annealed steel) is tough going to get any depth.
EngravingArtist.com
Old 02-23-2018, 05:33 PM
Steel

Because of medical reasons, I only do stock removal which is why a hardened blade is in the cards. Bolsters are feasible if it suits the knife style. Palm push is a “getting use to it” phase. Will practise on mild steel off cuts. Eventually I will
move to a PC. MS and diabetes give me peripheral neuropathy in the hands limit palm push and two ACL reconstructions in the right knee plus the neuropathy in the feet rule out a foot pedal.

Thanks for the info. And tks for setting me right on necessaries for the template. As far as hardened steel, would carbide gravers used tenderly work?

As a reetiree, time is available, no schedule, no duties anymore. I did too many 12+ hours during my 30+years active duty.

Mel

Last edited by Mjjung; 02-23-2018 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Errors and additions
Old 02-25-2018, 10:16 AM
Steel

Steve,

Received my Optivisor lenses and determined that 2X provided the best combination or magnification and distance to workpiece. Chucked a piece of mild steel into my GRS (heresy I know) ball vice and started on straight lines. Still find myself trying to steady the graver with my left hand. Practised recutting lines to get more depth.

My normal finishing stone is a Shapton 16K (0.92��. Is that sufficient for a polish or do I need to go to 0.25�� diamond paste or 0.125�� CBN?

Won't do any polishing until my template arrives. Will cut more tomorrow.

Mel
Old 02-26-2018, 07:09 AM
Platinum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjjung View Post
Because of medical reasons, I only do stock removal which is why a hardened blade is in the cards. Bolsters are feasible if it suits the knife style. Palm push is a “getting use to it” phase. Will practise on mild steel off cuts. Eventually I will
move to a PC. MS and diabetes give me peripheral neuropathy in the hands limit palm push and two ACL reconstructions in the right knee plus the neuropathy in the feet rule out a foot pedal.

Thanks for the info. And tks for setting me right on necessaries for the template. As far as hardened steel, would carbide gravers used tenderly work?

As a reetiree, time is available, no schedule, no duties anymore. I did too many 12+ hours during my 30+years active duty.

Mel
Hi
I reckon a palm control would be a better option for you.
MTC
SE
Old 02-26-2018, 02:30 PM
Steel

Steve,

Received my 116 universal template in good condition.

Mel
Old 02-26-2018, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjjung View Post
Steve,

Received my 116 universal template in good condition.

Mel
Hi Mel, Okay, good.
EngravingArtist.com