Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 10-14-2019, 06:00 AM
Copper

Default Hi from Argentina and looking for some guidance

Hi, I've always liked doing manual stuff and engraving recently caught my eye.

This weekend I finally got started with hammer and chisel and made my own gravers freehand from 4mm round silver steel. The air engravers seem so nice but I first want to see how much I like the hobby.

I joined the forum for help, and right now had two questions:

First I want to ask if my tools look somewhat decent so I can move along to practice with some confidence. On my first attempt I didn't grind a heel and the graver dug in like crazy. After adding it I feel I have a lot more control but still feel kind of clumsy and have trouble controlling the cut depth. Will this come with practice or should I modify my geometries?

Second, which can be related to the question above, is that curves seem awfully hard to make. Particularly tight radii, where I feel there is no way I can do them. Maybe I have to go shallower for these curves or are the gravers to blame?

In the pictures I show one of my gravers and my first cuts in an aluminum bronze coin, steel and aluminum sheet. I tell myself not to feel too bad since we all have to start somewhere
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191013_181743-min.jpg (81.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191013_181753-min.jpg (125.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191013_181548-min.jpg (36.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191013_181609-min.jpg (78.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-15-2019, 12:34 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Hi from Argentina and looking for some guidance

Hi and welcome to the forum :-) I think you answered your own question very well as you said “recently catched my attention” and “started this weekend”.

Most engravers have been drawing and practicing for years. I think before you start trying to engrave a scroll or a motif, practice a lot of drawing and learn how the scroll should look like. Find some practice plates and do a lot of straight lines, a lot of curves till you have control over the graver :-)

Everything will come with practicing, learning and experience.

Steve have some really bullet proof sharpening systems, as you will get the same result every time. And a sharp engraver is very important!

Good luck! :-)
Old 10-15-2019, 05:06 AM
Platinum

Your start reminds me of myself fifty plus years ago. Keep at it, you will learn and also learn to love the art.

When you cut curves, lean the tool slightly towards the outside of the curve which helps keep the tool from dragging on the outside edge of the cut. You just need a lot of practice.

And welcome to the forum and the art.

Guns, guitars and old cars
Old 10-15-2019, 01:14 PM
Platinum

push and hammer and chisel are the hardest forms of engraving to learn so take your time also getting a lindsay sharpening template would help a lot
Old 10-15-2019, 06:12 PM
Copper

Thanks for the input. I know I need hours upon hours of practice before getting any decent, I didn't expect to make a masterpiece on my first attempt To be honest I'm just happy that I could dent the metal.

Does the grind on my tool look any good? It feels sharp as it catches on my fingernail (I remember seeing a video where it was stated that is a good indication) but without having a reference it's hard for me to tell.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:03 AM
Platinum

Your V tool looks good to me. Cannot tell what the angle of the face is...I use about 58 degrees for gun steel. Also cannot tell if you have a heel on the tool. I use about 12 degrees and very fine width...just enough lift to give room for my fat fingers.

Guns, guitars and old cars