Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Who's Who - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-30-2020, 09:52 AM
Copper

Default Hello from Utah

Hello everyone I am really interested in leaning who to engrave as a hobby, now that my kids are getting a little older and I have a little more free time. I have been practicing sketching Filigree scrolls on sketch pads and feel I am about read to work on some brass and copper practice pieces. I do have a question. I am planning on testing the waters using push gravers to get started. Looking at Steve's website, I am thinking about buying the 116 degree universal template and holder along with 2 Carbalt blanks. My question is about the sharpening stones. I have a diamond 300/1000 grit plate for sharpening wood tools. I also have a 3000, 6000 grit water stone for sharpening knives. Would I be able to use these as long as I make sure they are the correct height off the work surface in order to get the proper angles for the Lindsay system? Thanks in advance!
Old 02-03-2020, 07:30 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello from Utah

Welcome to the art and forum Travis. I have not used Steve's systems as yet but you should be OK as long as you have the stones/diamond plate at the proper height. I put the face on my gravers with a 600 wheel and make the heel on a 1200.

Good luck on your new adventure and hope you get as much enjoyment out of it as I have these past 50+ years.

Guns, guitars and old cars
Old 02-14-2020, 02:00 PM
Platinum

Default Re: Hello from Utah

your set up should be ok, but there is no reason to over polish like 3k and 6k grit