Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 12-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Steel

Default My first attempt at a Knife

this is an engraving i did for my teacher on the back of a knicker, a knife that goes in the side pocket of lederhosen. It was my first time really working with silver and it was a challange dealing with a metal that "smears". I am not to happy with his ear and antlers also i find his neck to be a bit skinny. but hey Üben macht den Meister...practice makes perfect...right?

http://www.engravingforum.com/album....pictureid=4107
Old 12-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Platinum

Default Re: My first attempt at a Knife

Richtig :-) Sieht aber schon sehr gut aus! Viel Spass weiterhin!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Platinum

Not too bad!

I agree about the antlers - they're not bad but they could be better.

The ear, I think, works with him calling but if he's bugling then his neck probably should be a bit thicker.

Better than I could do, I can tell you that for sure!

For years I said my drawing skills are such that I'm a photographer I'm a little better now, thanks to engraving, but still not as good as I'd like to be.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Steel

Ja Vielen Dank!
I have changed a few things to make it a bit "Cleaner" i will take a picture of it when it is completely done
Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Platinum

Sarah,

For a student engraver the knicker is a fine job. An artist can always pick their own work apart but I have looked at many engraved stags and yours is as good as many especially considering that the shape of the end cap does not lend itself to a full set of antlers.

I am always very pleased to see you present your work here because we don't see many young people entering the trade and caring enough to seek input from others on the forums.

Considering your youth and desire for constant improvement, I can hardly imagine the master that you will become in a few years time. In 20 years your work could be the equal of Martin Strolz or the other great Germanic engravers.

Best wishes,

Roger
Old 12-17-2010, 04:40 AM
Platinum

Sarah,You have a good eye for animal anatony,your are going to do just fine.Tell us about your back ground in art.Keep up the good work. J.J. Keep posting.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:13 AM
Steel

thank you guys! Mr. Strolz is definitely one of my biggest idols. i hope after 20 years i could be a fraction as good as he is. It bothers me after i make a cut and it looks wrong that i cant simply go back and erase it like with drawing. As for artistic background, I took art in high school and it was always a hobby of mine. I worked on Ramstein air force base in germany as a laser engraver but there was nothing very artistic about that job. It wasnt until I came to this school I was really able to hone in on my "skills". they are very thorough with their education process over here.