Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,738. Welcome to our newest member, KarriG
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 02-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Platinum

Default Black Labrador Dog Scrimshaw

Some of you may have seen this in Reno, it was a work in progress at the time. I just finished it a couple days ago, and was totally blown away by the amount of time that went into it!

It's a 2x2 inch piece of Corian. I must say it was nice to work on something other than those itty bitty pendants, but it seemed... enormous! I'd love to know how many dots are in this thing! My feelings about Corian are somewhat mixed. I know it doesn't have the "ooh" factor of ivory, but I will say it was *really* nice to work on, very very much like ivory. Does anyone do knife scales in Corian??

Here's how much I see at one time under the scope (10X), just for kicks.

Onward! I'm totally diggin this scrimshaw.

-Katherine
Old 02-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Steel

Default Re: Black Labrador Dog Scrimshaw

Beautiful, I love the way Labs always seem to smile.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:48 PM

Katherine,

I should make a knife, engrave the bolsters, make the scales out of corian and have you put something on them and we'll sell it and split the doh!

Maybe a bird/trout knife and you could do say a trout on one side and a quail on the other???
Old 02-14-2008, 11:01 PM
Platinum

Thank you metalman!

Tim: YES! I'm in, let's go for it. :whoo:

-Katherine
Old 02-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Platinum

That is some really nice work - even blowing it up it looks great!

If you want to guess at the number of dots on the thing, cut out a 1/8 by 1/8 OR a 1/16 by 1/16 inch square, place it over a medium dark density of dots and count the dots. then see how many squares fit on the drawing and just multiply by the number of dots. Shouldn't be over a million!! :>)

How do you put your dots in? Using a Lindsay with a point, or a standard vibrator set on very low? Or some other way. Is your point pointed or v-shaped?

Again - really nice work.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Platinum

Hi Danny. I'm using a carbide tipped etching needle. No air powered anything, all by hand (ugh!). It's round, and pointy, and that sounds very untechnical when I say it but it's true! Just like a needle. I'll try to post some pics later.

-Katherine
Old 02-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Platinum

Katherine,
Thanks for showing us your beautiful art again. The Lab must very happy when looking at you and you must very happy when playing with it.
Thank you for sharing how you make this special kind of art. Maybe my English is not so good so I don't understand what you mean "untechnical"? You works show me it need a very difficult technique and you already a master!!!
Both Bulino and Scrimshaw is quite new to me, I learn a lot about these two different technique after joining the forum.
No matter is is a small round dot or triangular shape or diamond shape, dig into the metal or any material, or airbrush, they all are "stippling art" to me, all have their own unique "character" and "unique art form", if "Bulino" itself want to stand out from the others and get a good price in the market, let's respect it, we just need to spend more money ...... to me, your work is a TOP CLASS SCRIMSHAW. I like it. I think if one day you want to dig any shape instead of round dots, there will be no problem for you and your works will also be an excellent piece of art no matter it is bulino or scrimshaw because they are done by YOU. If scrimshaw or bulino is done by me now, then they all are just rubbish

Many Thanks for sharing once again.

Zernike
Old 02-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Platinum

Everyone always asks what tool I use, so here it is. I experimented first with just a pin vise but it wasn't comfortable to hold, so I ended up using the casing for a nifty type of pen I'd gotten my mom after she had hand surgery (http://www.penagain.com), cut the end off that, reamed out the innards with a dremmel, inserted a cut-off pin vise into that casing and then secured the whole thing with some aluminum tape. The point is a carbide tipped etching needle (just "pointy" no bevels, no heel, no nothing). It's not removable anymore from this tool, so if something happened and I broke it, I'd have to untape it and remove the pin vise..no biggie. Anyway, I totally love this thing, it doesn't hurt my wrist, it feels quite comfortable to hold. A thing of beauty it ain't, but I don't care!

-Katherine
Old 02-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Platinum

That IS a nifty tool. It allows you to place each dot individually, and with just the pressure you want. That makes your work even more impressive!

I think the reason most ask the type of tool is that we all think of "power" and you are thinking "hand".

Also you are "scratching" and "dotting" not just dotting - scrim not bulino. If you were just dotting (bulino), then a power tool would be an extreme advantage. As you would not need as much muscle and the technique would be more delicate and a heck of a lot faster - after some practice with it of course.

Please post some more when you get something done.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:54 PM
Steel

very very nice work!

wow

that dog looks so 3D ! very nice just looked at it for like 15 min in amazment!:yesnod: