Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Gold

Default New Custom Folder

Hello all,
Just finished this one for the maker yesterday. The maker is Roy Hinds, a great guy and talented knife maker. This knife has nickel silver bolsters, water buff bone handles, and D-2 steel blade. Photography was done using a light tent and a Canon Digital Elf on a tripod. The fabric photo background was layered in using Photoshop.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Platinum

Default Re: New Custom Folder

Jim, I think this is a quite good looking piece. If I made any change it would be to cut the background around the second side ball, like you did both on the opposite side.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Platinum

the texturing you did on the tendrils is quit unique-never seen this done -BRAVO-Fred
Old 04-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Gold

Scott, I have to agree with you. That little modification would be a better balance. Doh!

Fred. I like the effect of that type of shading too but it gives me fits sometimes. Its difficult to get just the right amount of it. Too little and it looks like you just double-cut the base of the scroll. Too much and it doesn't accomplish the illusion of dimension. That may be why you don't see it very often.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Hi Jim, That looks very good and shows a great deal of improvement from the first knife engraving you had posted http://www.engravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=829 From this point I'd say just keep it up. It looks like your scroll drawing will slowly develop into your own distinct style. I remember a practice plate with animals you did. It showed you are a good artist to start with. With your scroll improvements, it is all coming together. Thanks again for posting. Steve
EngravingArtist.com
Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 PM
Gold

Default Thanks

Steve,
Thanks for the kind words. I couldn’t have gotten nearly this far so fast were it not for all the help and inspiration of resources like this forum.
I should also mention that last month I had the good fortune of spending a week with Ray Cover. Ray is a world class artist and natural teacher. He provides an organized yet comfortable and relaxed learning environment. A good part of the week with Ray was spent working on fine line shading. When I look at the before and after difference in my shading, I’m astonished. This job was the third knife project since the week with Ray and the first real chance to try many of the shading techniques he taught.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:11 AM
Steel

Hello Skip Very nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My wife was very impressed,she said it looks as good as
that steak you cooked for you and I,and hers as well with out her way of eating beef.Talk to you soon
Joe Cera
www.ceraswaxes.com
Old 04-04-2008, 06:29 AM
Platinum

Hi Jim,
This engraving is a big improvement on your other knife, my suggestion would be... the two scrolls at the top look somewhat empty, they need some shading coming in towards the leaves, this will give those scrolls a lot more depth. Also it would'nt be a bad idea to slightly crosshatch the fine leaf engraving to give some depth to the dark parts.
Just my 2 pence, or should I say 2 cents worth.

Phil
Old 04-04-2008, 08:44 AM
Gold

Phil,
Thanks for taking the time to look. Advice from an icon like yourself is highly valued. I have collected several images of your work and I would love to own a casting if you have them available for purchase. I used to do some marble work in the round and carved slate in the half-round so I am most drawn to your sculpted works.

Joe,
Good to hear from you. The grill's always hot, so if you ever get back to Texas stop in again.