Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > Gallery and Show & Tell - Hand Engraving Forum
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 01-22-2010, 08:31 PM
Steel

Default A pair of pistols in the Wogdon style

Hi Folks,
I finished these before Xmas and sent them off as a gift to my brother. The pistols are styled after the work of Robert Wogdon from the 1780's in London. The barrels were made by Ed Rayl and I built the locks from castings of an original Wogdon pistol provided by Blackley's in England. I hand made almost everything else. The engraving style is from 18th century England. Pistols usually were sold with accessories and cases, which I also made. Hope you enjoy the photos.

dave,

Old 01-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Platinum

Default Re: A pair of pistols in the Wogdon style

Im in awe
Old 01-23-2010, 05:17 AM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

My goodness,
That is some gift! Your brother is a lucky man
Old 01-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Platinum

Verrry nice pistols, and accoutrements. Did you make the tools, box and leather case too?
Fantastic package and present! Your brother is the lucky one!
Thank you for sharing.
Gail
Old 01-23-2010, 12:52 PM
Steel

Thanks Folks,
Gail, I made everything by hand except the barrels, case hinges, case lock, and oil bottle. The locks were castings from E. J. Blackley in England but I had to make all the springs and screws, and do the fitting and heat treatment. I etched the barrels in acid to give them the look of "stub twist" barrels made in England during the 18th century. All of the tools and case were styled after actual cases of the period and the lining is wool baize made by Abilmelech Hainsworth company in England. They have been making wool fabrics since 1783. I cast the case handle, hooks, and powder flask end caps out of bronze using the Delft clay process. I hand stitched the leather traveling case, which is lined with pig skin. I cast the buckle and made the monogram plate. Much of the steel hardware on the pistols was made from mild steel salvaged from an old washing machine. I am an amateur builder and still a beginning engraver but I think I managed to match the styles and quality of work of the better products of the London gun trade during the 1780's.

I posted the photos because I thought some folks might enjoy seeing something a little different that included engraving. I am glad you enjoyed the photos. Thank you for all your kind comments.

dave
Old 01-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Steel

Thanks Folks,
Gail, I made everything by hand except the barrels, case hinges, case lock, and oil bottle. The locks were castings from E. J. Blackley in England but I had to make all the springs and screws, and do the fitting and heat treatment. I etched the barrels in acid to give them the look of "stub twist" barrels made in England during the 18th century. All of the tools and case were styled after actual cases of the period and the lining is wool baize made by Abilmelech Hainsworth company in England. They have been making wool fabrics since 1783. I cast the case handle, hooks, and powder flask end caps out of bronze using the Delft clay process. Much of the steel hardware on the pistols was made from mild steel salvaged from an old washing machine. I am an amateur builder and still a beginning engraver but I think I managed to match the styles and quality of work of the better products of the London gun trade during the 1780's.

I posted the photos because I thought some folks might enjoy seeing something a little different that included engraving. I am glad you enjoyed the photos. Thank you for all your kind comments.

dave
Old 01-23-2010, 06:30 PM
Copper

Wonderful Work! I'm glad I saw these, I am working on a design for a single pistol, flintlock, with a similar feel to this set. This gives me some ideas, and a much needed dose of inspiration!
Amateur Gunsmith and Engraver
Virginia City, Montana
Old 01-23-2010, 07:36 PM
Platinum

Dave,

I hope your brother has some sons with sons so these will stay in the family heirlooms for the next few centuries. Just beautiful! Amazing talents!

Mike
Old 01-24-2010, 05:31 AM
Platinum

Send a message via Yahoo to mtgraver

Dave,
Nice job, the carving is cleanly executed as the original style. Have you discovered the Contemporary Longrifle Association? What is the next project? Are you only building English style or crossover to Colonial American?
Mark
Old 01-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Steel

Thanks again everyone for the compliments. I really appreciate them. Mark, I know of CLA but I live in Alaska and have a full time job so I rarely can get away to enjoy the CLA meetings and shows. I plan on joining the organization mainly to support its mission. I am an active member of the American Longrifles Forum (ALR) and I previously posted pictures of the pistols on that board. I visited your website. What marvelous work!!! I love it!! I love 17th and 18th century decorative arts. I can stare at wood block engravings, decorated furniture and home accessories, and firearms from that period for hours. I have two projects in the works. I built a early 17th century English fowling gun with an early "type 1" English lock. I am going to engrave the lockplate with typical 17th century motifs. However, I want the design to be sophisticated and well executed but not too elaboate (like French work of the time) because English guns were more simply decorated during the early-mid 1600s. My other project is a late 14th century hand gonne with carved bone inlay. I am trying to mimic designs and work that would be appropriate for Venice Italy during the late 1300s. There will be winged lions and portraits of Doges carved in bone. I spent time in the NY Metropolitan Museum of art last summer studying Byzantine bone carving for inspiration. To say the least, I was inspired by what I saw!! I'll post pictures of my work as I finish the projects.

Take care ,

dave

dave
Old 01-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Yahoo to mtgraver

Dave,
Wow, I like the direction it sounds like you're going on these next projects. Where in Alaska? The is a link on the CLA site I put up for a club not far from Anchorage? A friend of mine Jud Brennan works out of Delta Junction if you're anywhere close. If you'd ever get the chance to come to the Annual show, you might be hooked on returning. A very humbling atmosphere of talent and friendship.
Take care and looking forward to seeing your next project completed.
Mark
Old 01-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Platinum

You are master of a very complex set of skills! I am looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Thank you again.
Gail
Old 01-24-2010, 06:00 PM
Platinum

Send a message via Skype™ to Daniel Houwer

Hi Dave,

Might I ask what you do for a living? As in your fulltime job?
Seeing these guns You could have fooled me as a pro!
Don 't think you are a book keeper if you catch my drift
Old 01-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Steel

Hi Daniel, Gail, and Mark,
I hate to disappoint but I am a rank amateur. I've built muzzleloading guns, made jewelry, and built furniture for >20 years but always as an avocation, not as a profession. I am a wildlife research scientist with Alaska Fish and Game and my focus is the ecology of wolves, bears, and deer on the islands of Southeast Alaska. I live in Ketchikan, which is as far south as you can go in AK. We are much more like Washington State than Alaska. Winter temps here are closer to those in NJ than the rest of Alaska. My work takes up most of my time plus I am sooooo slooowwwwww at building guns and engraving. If I were in business as an artisan I would be bankrupt 3 or 4 times over. Mark, I know of Jud Brennan and his work, which is phenomenal. Delta is a long ways away (about as far from me as Atlanta is from New York). If I can ever get down to one of the CLA shows I certainly will. I thank all of you for your comments and I will post work as I finish it.

Thank you again,

dave
Old 01-25-2010, 04:41 PM
Gold

Send a message via Skype™ to CStolz338

Beautiful work, simply a gorgeous set.

Colin