Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community

The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community
Discuss hand engraving using basic to the most advanced methods and equipment
Forum Members: 14,732. Welcome to our newest member, Miss Allison
EngravingForum.com - Domain since Feb 7, 2003

Graver Video Conferencing is empty Join now!

Go Back   Engraving Forum.com - The Internet's Largest and Fastest Growing Engraving Community > Forums > WaterCooler
ENGRAVING TOOLS - Paypal accepted Classes Glossary Feedback Tips Sharpening Bulino Videos Forum Policies

Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Platinum

Default Check Radiation Level Near You ...

I thought this was interesting .... this is what the mainstream media hasn't said a word about.

The EPA website has active radiation monitors around the country which can be checked via the web. Just click on a blue balloon near you on the map and a bunch of cryptic numbers will show up next to the map.

https://cdxnode64.epa.gov/radnet-public/showMap.do

While all of the numbers are relevant. A good number to look at is the "Beta Gross Count Rate CPM". Normal is under 100 Counts Per Minute and will vary due to altitude, proximity to nuclear test sites or power plants etc. etc. I have noticed spikes over 100 and sometimes to levels 2-4 times normal (which isn't bad unless it stays that high for weeks). Normal appears to be around 40-60 for most places and is considered to be background radiation which exists naturally in our environment.

Reading this will help to understand "CPM":

Geiger Counter Numbers, How Bad is Bad?

Just out of curiosity ... checking Steve's house in Kearney, Nebraska was 190 CPM at the time of this post. Earlier it was 270.

Also, check Raleigh, NC .... those numbers are insanely high. Probably something wrong with that sensor 'cause all the ones around it are normal.

It's interesting to cross reference spikes with the current Jet Stream Map found here ...

http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/JetStream.aspx

If you are totally not in the mood to engrave and bored out of your tree with nothing else to do .... Check the RadNet data. Hours of enjoyment and not a freakin' thing anyone can do about it so sit back, click away and look forward to a bowl of Cheerio's fortified with radioactive cesium and strontium.

We're very fortunate to be 5000 miles plus from the poor folks in Japan. Don't forget to say a prayer for the victims and the generations, yet to be born, who will suffer from this. We've also got some forum members who live in Japan .... let's hope they are well.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 AM
Platinum

Default Re: Check Radiation Level Near You ...

[QUOTE=Chris Malouf;58745]

Just out of curiosity ... checking Steve's house in Kearney, Nebraska was 190 CPM at the time of this post. Earlier it was 270.

QUOTE]

When is the limited edition "glo in the dark" tool range coming out Steve?
Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Platinum

Chris,
Thanks .... good information.
BTW looks like they took the Raleigh sight down.
Regards,
Archie
Old 03-22-2011, 10:05 AM
Platinum

I don't think it's that bad Chris

Hey Archie .... just checked. Kinda weird. I was reading a few blogs and survival forums and several comments stated that a number of sensors have been taken off line in the last few days. I've wondered if data is being manipulated but it wouldn't really matter anyway and only create panic.

Charleston, WV was at around 42 CPM since I first started checking Saturday .... today it is 3 times higher at 128. We've had rain too.

What I find rather amusing is the run on potassium iodide. Radioactive iodide degrades and dissipates in about a week so those pills would be relatively useless for something that takes over a week to get here. I'm no engineer but I checked a few sources to confirm that. As always, people are profiting of off fear.

Here's a site maintained by a network of private individuals. If you had your own portable counter and the software, you could be a data collection point on the map.

http://www.radiationnetwork.com/
Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Platinum

Wanna laugh?
Apparently the chemists here in Finland have been selling loads of those pills...

Miles away from anything.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Platinum

Over at XKCD he's got a very nice chart that shows exactly how 'dangerous' the levels of radiation involved are
click here

Hint: One Chest CT scan is about double the worst daily dosage found within 50km of the affected plants. Most probably levels have been much higher at the plants - especially inside the containtment buildings but so far this is only a real problem in a very local area. The traces being found further away from there are more of something to keep an eye on than something to worry about.

Steve :->
(KCSteve in most forums)
SVD's Photo Album
Old 11-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Steel

Eating a banana gives an adult enough potassium iodine to cover the ki pills. All the potassium iodine pills do it fill your thyroid up with good potassium iodine and it blocks the bad iodine 131. Most of the sources that show up from there detectors are from natural sources. beta radiation does not travel far and can be shielded by plastic, glass, wood.... I work at a nuclear power plant and our operations add about 1 milli rem of dose to the surrounding area. General public gets about 250mrem a year from natural sources. Me working at the plant I have gotten about 10mrem for the year. Xrays can widely vary in dose rates, a PET scan can get you about 5000-7000mrem